New Breachacha Castle

General Details and Location

Category
RESTORATION IN PROGRESS
Name of Building
New Breachacha Castle
Other Name(s)
Breacacha House; Breacachadh House; Breachacha House; New Breacacha Castle
Address
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
826
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NM 15896 54014
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
4709

Description

Georgian house built by the Lairds of Coll to complement the medieval Breachacha Castle which stands 140m to the north west. The house is harled with exposed red sandstone dressings and slate roofs. The house was originally a 3 storey square-plan block with a hipped roof. This main block is linked to a pair of hipped-roofed 2 storeys pavilions by quadrant walls to form a courtyard at the south side. That to the east is the former servants' quarters and kitchen, whilst that to the west is the former coach house, garage and laundry. The doorway to the main block features a faceted and lugged surround. A stone panel bearing the incised date of 1750 occupies a blocked-up window recess at first floor level, probably relocated from above the door.

The house was bought by John Stewart of Glenbuckie and Lorn in 1856 and was raised to 4 storeys and the pavilions reconstructed and extended in a Scottish baronial style with pepperpot turrets and crenellations added.. An entrance porch was later added to the north elevation, whilst that to the south dates to 1936 and is in brick. Some 18th century features remain inside, though the interior was remodelled in the mid and late 19th century. Dr Johnson and Boswell stayed in the house in October 1773. Boswell described the house as a "neat new-built gentleman's house" though Johnson noted that "there was nothing becoming a chief about it. It was quite a tradesman's box."
Building Dates
1750; 1856
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
Moderate
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
30/09/2008, 25/6/2012
Development History
October 1993: The National Trust for Scotland reports that the house stood empty from 1944 until 1968 when the current owner's family purchased it from the then Laird of Coll. It was then brought back into a certain degree of use, with electricity installed and the lower floors split into 2 self-contained flats. The top floor was left unoccupied. April 1994: The owners report that they would welcome expressions of interest. Though the roof and timbers remain sound, the house is in need of more repairs and stands vacant for much of the year. January 1997: Local planners report that the house is in a worsening state and is now only just habitable. September 1997: Local planners report that the house has been sold. June 1998: Permissions are sought to restore the house. The plans involve a small element of demolition. January 1999: Local planners report that permissions have been granted for restoration works. February 2001: Local planners report that restoration works have commenced. November 2002: Local planners report that works are continuing. September 2004: The owner reports that he now lives on site full-time and restoration works are continuing. September 2007: SCT is contacted by Historic Scotland with update. Owner is living on-site and restoration works are progressing - phased approach being taken with a floor being completed at a time. Likelihood is that the lower floors will then be operated as a Bed and Breakfast business.
July 2008: The property is upgraded from Category B to A.
September 2008: External inspection finds repair works continue. The main building in fair to poor condition, however the wings are in very poor condition.
January 2010: The current owner of the building contacts SCT; they continue to pursue restoration of the building, the main building‘s roof is nearly complete, but the two wings are the next priority to be made wind and water tight.
25 June 2012: External inspection finds the main central block wind and watertight. The restorers are living on the top floor and internal work is ongoing on the lower floors. Permissions are being sought for the restoration of the east wing as a holiday let and the west wing as an exhibition and research resource relating to Basking Sharks and a cafe.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
N/A
Occupancy
Part
Occupancy Type
Owner
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Residential
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: N/A
Name of Owners
Caroline Henderson
Type of Ownership
Private

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Country Houses, Mansions and Large Villas
Original Entry Date
13-OCT-97
Date of Last Edit
14/09/2012