Darleith House, Darleith Road, Cardross

General Details and Location

Category
RESTORATION IN PROGRESS
Name of Building
Darleith House
Other Name(s)
Address
Darleith Road, Cardross
Locality
Postcode (click to find nearby buildings)
Planning Authority (click to search)
Divisional Area (click to search)
Reference No
855
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NS 34522 80649
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
43873

Description

2-storey over basement, 5-bay classical house with additions. Rubble with harl; sandstone margins and dressings; base course; blocking course; ruined, partially roofless.

In 1510 Matthew the 1st Earl of Lennox granted sasine of the Black Third of Darleith to John Darleith. A peel tower was built, subsequently incorporated into the main house. An extension was added in 1616 by John Darleith, a coat of arms of Darleith and his wife Janet Crawford is found on the W gable. In 1670 the house was sold to John Yuillle who enlarged the house. The keystone of the former old E entrance was inserted into the fireplace of the professors dining room in the house when it served as a seminary (IZAF 1676), this was removed and is now in Dumbarton library. On the West gable the arms of John Yuille "Gods Providence is my inheritance" 1678. The house was further extended at the end of the 18th century, the walled garden and steading are of this date. In 1903 the new owner Campbell added a wind to the SE and much of the interior was remodelled at this stage. The house ceased to be a seminary in the 1960s. ( Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
Early 16th century; 18th century; 1903
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Fair
Category of Risk
Minimal
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
February 1990, March 1994, February 2000, 09/12/2009, 25/10/2012
Development History
February 1990: External inspection reveals the house to be empty, derelict, and vandalised. The house was previously used by the Archdiocese of Glasgow as a seminary, but this closed in the mid 1960s when the purpose-built replacement St Peter's College opened nearby. Planning Permission has been granted in the past for a house to be built onto the original structure. SCT understands the owners would consider entering negotiations with potential restoring purchasers. February 2000: External inspection reveals the house to be in an advanced state of decay. Much of the internal fabric and roof has collapsed. 2004: Permissions are sought for the renovation of the house and the partial demolition of the outbuildings. 12 May 2004: The Dumbarton and Vale of Leven Reporter notes the building's inclusion on the Buildings at Risk Register. 13 May 2004: The Helensburgh Advertiser repeats the story. May 2006: local planners report that planning permission and listed builidng consent was granted for the redevelopment of part of the house and that these works are now complete. The planners comment that the works have been carried out very well.
December 2009: External inspection confirms that the property is part restored and occupied. The occupied section is in good order. The remaining part of the building is under consolidation as a ruin.
25 October 2012: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
01546 604277

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Unknown
Occupancy
Part
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Residential to School/College/University
Name of Owners
Mr Michael Shaw
Type of Ownership
Private

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Dean and Miers (1990), p108; MacGibbon and Ross (1887-), vol. III, pp447; Tranter (1962-1970); Walker and Sinclair (1992), pp61-62; St Peter's College Magazine, 18(68), June 1947, pp12-17.
Online Resources
Classification
Country Houses, Mansions and Large Villas
Original Entry Date
20/02/1990
Date of Last Edit
17/01/2013