Bonthrone Distillery Mill Building, 6, Burnside, Auchtermuchty

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2019.

General Details and Location

Name of Building
Bonthrone Distillery Mill Building
Other Name(s)
6, Burnside, Auchtermuchty
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
Listing Category
OS Grid Ref
NO 2387 1178
Location Type
Small Town
HS Reference No


Former mill building to Bonthrone Distillery, founded in 1829 and once extending along the length of Burnside. The building rises to 3 storeys with roof ventilators. Much of the building appears to have been constructed from whinstone. A re-used marriage lintol and plaque are incorporated into the NE gable.
Building Dates
Early 19th century

Category of Risk and Development History

Category of Risk
Exemptions to State of Risk
The adjacent malt barn and kiln to Bonthrone Distillery are in use and not at risk.
Field Visits
November 1997, March 2005, 31/08/2007, 26/11/2010, 10/6/2014, 17/4/2019
Development History
January 1996: Permission is sought for the development of the site, including the conversion of the unlisted mill building and the demolition of the associated listed malt barn and unlisted warehouse. The listed kiln would be retained. SCT supports the rehabilitation of the site but objects to the demolition of the malt barn. November 1997: External inspection reveals that the unlisted warehouse has now been demolished, though the other buildings remain boarded-up and derelict. SCT understands that the previous application has been withdrawn and there are currently no alternative schemes. February 1999: Local planners report that work has started on erecting 10 flats in the gap site. The listed malt barn and kiln have now been sold and the owner is currently using the buildings. The unlisted mill building is owned by the developers of the gap site, although it is due to be transferred to contractors Thomas Mitchell. February 2000: Local planners report that the development of the site is now almost complete. The malt barn and kiln remain in use, with only the mill building still vacant. April 2004: Local planners report that the mill building remains at risk. October 2006: The owners stated report that they no longer own the property. Details removed from record. August 2007: External inspection reveals the building to be in very poor condition and vulnerable to vandalism.
May 2009: Local planners forward recent images of the building.
November 2010: External inspection finds no significant change since the previous site visit. The building continues to deteriorate.
10 June 2014: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously. The property is being marketed for sale through auction at Future Property Auctions. A Building Warrant for conversion of the former mill to residential use was approved Apr 2010 ref: 10/00527/E_BW.
14 April 2019: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous visit. Gutters are increasingly choked with vegetation.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
03451 555555


Current Availability
Appointed Agents
Occupancy Type
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on acertaining ownership
Type of Ownership

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Moss and Hume (1981), p234.
Online Resources
Food and Drink Processing
Original Entry Date
Date of Last Edit