Inchrye Abbey Home Farm, Lindores

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Inchrye Abbey Home Farm
Other Name(s)
Inchrye Lodge Home Farm; Inchyre Steading
Address
Lindores
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
960
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NO 27079 16995
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
45921

Description

Single and 2-storey, U-plan steading (largely roofless) with vaulted, castellated dovecot and flanking castellated polygonal turrets. Coursed snecked whinstone rubble with evidence of cherry caulking and harl; contrasting sandstone ashlar quoins. Eaves course. Hoodmoulds, stone mullions.

Retaining some very fine features, this steading belonged to Inchrye Abbey, a fine Gothic revival house of 1827, now demolished. Built at a cost of £12,000, possibly for David Wilson who was the proprietor in 1840, an engraving of the house bears comparison with nearby Crawford Priory of 1813 by Gillespie Graham. By 1876, Inchrye was the property of the Right Rev William Scot Wilson, Bishop of Glasgow. Stables of similar design survive at Torrie House, Fife, where once again, the house has been demolished. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
Circa 1827 ?
Architects

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Very Poor
Category of Risk
Critical
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
June 1990, 31/08/2007, 14/01/2011, 10/6/2014
Development History
June 1990: External inspection reveals the buildings to be unused and overgrown. They are becoming ruinous, with large sections of roof missing. SCT understands that the interior walls of most of the east and west ranges have been demolished to increase storage space. The broad cart openings at the south ends have also been lost, to increase access for modern machinery. This has seriously weakened the structure and caused the collapse of the west range roof. January 1998: Local planners report that they have had pre-planning application discussion concerning conversion to 7 residential units. January 1999: Local planners report that no applications have been submitted. January 2001: No change reported. February 2004: Historic Scotland reports that consents are now in place for conversion to 3 dwellings, though no works have yet commenced. September 2007: External inspection reveals the property is vacant and in need of action to restore or consolidate to avoid becoming ruinous. January 2008: Inchrye Steading is advertised for sale by CKD Galbraith in The Scotsman
July 2010: A member of the public contacts SCT to advise works to clear ground outside the steading has commenced.
January 2011: External inspection finds no significant change since the last site visit. Deterioration continues and is a cause for concern. Renewal of Listed Building Consent 02/03971/ELBC, was granted with conditions June 2008 ref: 08/01341/ELBC.
10 June 2014: External inspection finds the buildings remain in much the same condition as seen previously. Security fencing is erected around the site.
13 January 2016: A member of the public notes property developer The Good House Company's website notes an intention to convert the former steadings to residential use.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
03451 555555

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Farming
Original Entry Date
04-JUN-90
Date of Last Edit
13/01/2016