St Margaret's Polmadie Church, Halls and Manse (Former), 110, Polmadie Road, Polmadie

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
St Margaret's Polmadie Church, Halls and Manse (Former)
Other Name(s)
Address
110, Polmadie Road, Polmadie
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
996
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NS 59873 62929
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
33698

Description

Transitional, Church, linked to halls at W and manse to S. Bull-faced red ashlar, polished dressings; slate roofs. Buttressed gabled street elevation with pair tall lights and vesica, gabled porch left fronting side aisle (recessed link to hall beyond); lower chancel with side chapel. Fine interior. Manse has 2 storey, 2-bay street elevation with single oriel, gabled attic dormer set behind parapet; crow-stepped gables, stack with tall grouped flues; also contains church officers' flat.

Erected under Govan Parish Church Extension Scheme. Foundation stone laid 2nd October 1897 (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
1897-1902
Architects
Dr Peter MacGregor Chalmers

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
High
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
August 1990

, October 1997
, August 2004
, December 2007
Development History
August 1990: External inspection reveals the church and hall to be vacant, having changed hands several times over the last decade. The buildings are now very run down. January 1995: Local planners report that the church is now in use as a furniture store, though a more permanent use is being pursued. January 2001: Local planners report that a recent site inspection has revealed that the hall is occupied but remains in a poor state of repair. The church interior has been gutted but is in fair condition. 2002: Local planners report that the buildings fall within the Oatlands Regeneration Project and are likely to be subject to a Compulsory Purchase Order. 2003: The buildings are included in the Regeneration of Oatlands Compulsory Purchase Order. The owner does not object. August 2004: External inspection reveals that both the church and hall are vacant and in poor condition. November 2004: Local planners report that the Compulsory Purchase proceedings may be subject to some difficulties. The church would former a community hall for the regenerated area. October 2006: Letter sent to owner returned marked 'addressee unknown'. Details removed. Retained by SCT on file. December 2007: External inspection reveals the condition of the roof is deteriorating; there are numerous missing slates. There are a small number of broken glazing panes in the windows. Glasgow Built Preservation Trust are currently engaged in an Options Appraisal for the property to incorporate restoration with the Regeneration of Oatlands.
December 2009: Historic Scotland‘s Building Repair Grant Scheme has awarded St Margaret’s Church in £500,000 for a mixed business and community end use, in a project managed by Glasgow Building Preservation Trust.
August 2010: GBPT is seeking additional funding sources to meet the project cost of £4 million, as part of a proposed scheme for conversion to community and business centre.
September 2011: Glasgow Building Preservation Trust report the restoration/ conversion project has been awarded £814k from the Heriatge Lottery Fund in 2011 toward building repairs capital costs. The fundraising for the project continues. A new local trust, ODT has been formed by people who live in the Oatlands area. The aspiration is that the building will, in due course, be passed into community ownership.
27 March 2013: Glasgow Building Preservation Trust advise that following the Options Appraisal (completed in 2009), the Oatlands Development Trust (ODT), a community-led organisation, was formed in 2010. GBPT worked closely with the ODT and secured capacity building support and training to allow the ODT to develop. Unfortunately, despite the hard work and dedication of all those involved, a number of factors have resulted in the project not being realisable, mainly the significant funding required in the challenging funding climate. At this time GBPT has been unable to proceed further with this project.
20 November 2013: Local planners report the site remains disused and is in deteriorating condition. There appears to have been lead theft from the site and the roof is not watertight.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
0141 287 5492

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Unknown
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Church/Convent/Monastery
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: Warehouse/Store
Name of Owners
Unverified - see FAQ section on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Glasgow Building Preservation Trust: http://www.gbpt.org/projects/st-margarets-church.html
Classification
Churches and Chapels
Original Entry Date
27-AUG-90
Date of Last Edit
17/06/2014