Broadfield Hospital (Former), Old Greenock Road, Port Glasgow

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2019.

General Details and Location

Name of Building
Broadfield Hospital (Former)
Other Name(s)
Broadstone House; Broadstone Castle
Old Greenock Road, Port Glasgow
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
Listing Category
OS Grid Ref
NS 34947 73754
Location Type
Rural Settlement
HS Reference No


Large Scots-Renaissance mansion with details based on Newark Castle: rubble, 2/3-storey with 4-storey tower, crow-stepped gables, notable conservatory: panel with letters 'ADV' and 'PKC' interwoven and 'architect 1870'. (Historic Scotland)

Broadfield Hospital was opened in 1925 and catered for mentally deficient men. Broadstone House was purchased by Paisley Burgh in 1929 to accommodate mentally deficient females and juveniles. Both units were then administered as a single hospital. The hospital closed in 2007-8 (NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde Archives)
Building Dates
David Bryce

Category of Risk and Development History

Category of Risk
Exemptions to State of Risk
The adjoining stables to the east of the main building have been restored for residential use.
Field Visits
01/05/1991, 01/09/1997, 01/08/1998, 01/02/2000, 01/03/2002, 18/08/2008, 22/01/2010, 14/8/2014
Development History
June 1974: An application is lodged to demolish the conservatory. SCT objects, noting that the conservatory is particularly fine and is central to the plan of the house as a whole. Both lateral walls are reported to be out of plumb due to a World War II bomb blast, although the cupola is acting as a buttress against further leaning. Some stonework is described as cracked, especially in the west elevation where lintels are in disrepair and spalling has revealed embedded iron clamps. Repair work is estimated at £50,000. It is reported that the Hospital Board is maintaining the greater house in a good state of repair. 1987: Outline Planning Permission is granted for a medium density housing development on part of the grounds, subject to the hospital being converted into a nursing home. Conversion work is subsequently completed, but does not meet the requirements of the Health Board and so is never occupied. 1990: Change of use consent to a hotel is granted, but never taken up. May 1991: External inspection shows the hospital to be empty and deteriorating. It is under a severe threat of vandalism, despite guard dogs being kept on site. January 1993: The building continues to be marketed, and some expressions of interest have been recevied. July 1993: The house is believed to have changed hands and the new owners are understood to be preparing plans for a nursing home extension. July 1995: No change reported. January 1998: SCT understands that the nursing home company has now entered receivership. It is reported that the building has been bought from the receivers by a private individual. SCT receives information that the interior has been completely stripped, leaving virtually nothing in the way of fixtures and fittings. Meanwhile a local architect is said to be interested in pursuing conversion into flats. September 1998: An application is lodged for the residential development of the site. SCT is broadly supportive but is concerned at the height and density of the new build, and the effect it will have on the house's outlook and setting. 7 October 1998: The Greenock Telegraph reports that local residents have formed Bravehearts (Scotland) Ltd and have submitted plans for the house's £3 million conversion into a regeneration centre, providing employment to local people. The plans would see the house renamed Broadfield Castle and the establishment of a heritage centre, sound and video production facilities, advice and training centres, a theatre, and business start-up and conference facilities. The house would also contain a small boat-building and repair workshop. 49 houses and an unspecified number of flats would be built in the grounds, through both private and public finance. Local planners are recommending the granting of permissions, although there remains a concern to link the new-build to the restoration of the house. SCT supports the restoration of Broadstone but expresses concern that the new build may compromise its setting. November 1998: SCT understands that consents have been granted. A developer still needs to be found to take on the project, and enabling development would have to be phased to fund the rescue of house. Summer 1999: The estate is advertised for sale by CRGP Robertson of Glasgow with Outline Planning Permission for 183 residential units and the potential redevelopment of the house. 15 February 2000: The Greenock Telegraph reports that the hospital is expected to fetch £1 million at auction. April 2000: SCT understands that the house has been sold to Muir Homes of Fife who intend to convert it into flats, with further residential development within the grounds. January 2002: A planning application for the development is submitted. SCT welcomes the proposed renovation of the house, but expresses concern at the scale of the associated enabling development. 8 July 2002: The Greenock Telegraph reports that Muir Homes is to build 121 detached houses and flats in the grounds. The house will be converted into 15 flats. Many of the mature trees will be kept, and the design of the new build includes features inkeeping with the house such as turrets. 3 September 2002: The Greenock Telegraph reports that detailed planning applications are to be put before Councillors. It is reported that 65 houses and 56 flats will now be built. No objections to the scheme have been received and planners are recommending that permissions be granted. 9 September 2002: The Greenock Telegraph reports that consent has been granted on the condition that work commences within 5 years and that trees in the grounds are protected. May 2003: Local planners report that works are to commence soon. 20 January 2004: The Greenock Telegraph reports that Muir Homes is seeking amended permissions to convert the hospital into 20 flats and build 20 homes on the surrounding land. 20 July 2004: The Greenock Telegraph reports that the hospital has been gutted by arson. Inverclyde Council has ordered the demolition of parts of the building felt to be in danger of collapse. Historic Scotland is to visit the site.
March 2008: SCT is contacted by a member of the public with information on the history of the house. His father (Thomas Crawford Caldwell) was an orphan in this building when it was an orphanage. He was born in 1920 and was there from the age of 3 to the age of 16. He later went on to own Adam's Yard, Cove Rd, Gourock.
August 2008: External inspection reveals that the building is in a largely ruinous condition with most of its roof and windows missing. The structure is supported by scaffolding pending conversion into flats by Muir Homes. The adjoining stables have recently been restored and converted to residential use.
January 2010: External inspection reveals that development of the building has not yet commenced.
14 December 2012: Full Planning Permission for the construction of 22 and 24 new build dwellings within the wider former hospital estate has been conditionally granted ref: 11/0179/IC & 11/0180/IC, both revisions of earlier plans. One of the conditions of the consents is that the conversion and restoration of the listed building takes place prior to the first occupation of the Phase 3 new build housing.
14 August 2014: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously.
9 September 2015: A member of the public notes consents are now being sought for the development of the site. Full Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent for reconstruction, partial demolition and new build elements to form 27 flats are being sought ref: 15/0191/IC & 15/0028/LB.
20 July 2016: The site is being marketed for sale through agents Ryden.
13 June 2019: A member of the public advises conversion works as underway. Marketing of the developed flats is now underway by Muir Homes - the overall site, including new build dwellings, is being marketed as The Castlebank. Moved to Restoration in Progress.
9 April 2021: A member of the public advises that conversion works are moving into their final stage. The central block and tower have been demolished as part of this scheme but it appears the East and West wings have been retained and converted.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
01475 712418


Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Occupancy Type
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Hospital/Medical
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: Residential, BARR original text : Hospital/Medical to Residential
Name of Owners
Muir Homes Ltd
Type of Ownership

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Millar (1889); Richardson; Walker (1986), p108.
Original Entry Date
Date of Last Edit