In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Cavers House, Cavers

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2019.

General Details and Location

Name of Building
Cavers House
Other Name(s)
Warden's Tower
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
Listing Category
OS Grid Ref
NT 54060 15455
Location Type
HS Reference No


Circa 1500 large 5 storey tower house, probably incorporating part of a 13th century castle. Upper two floors altered in 17th century and the tower enlarged to the North in the mid 18th century to form a classical mansion house with symmetrical 7 bay front to east with a 3 window semi-circular advanced bow at centre.

Substantially re-modelled in the Scottish Baronial style in 1885-7 by Kinnear and Peddie who reduced the projecting bow to 2 storeys and added gabled attics to the Tower and north wing and a large additional wing to the NW. This wing and part of the North wing demolished in 1953 and the house unroofed. Cavers Castle belonged in 12th and 13th centuries to the Baliols. The present tower is presumably that mentioned in the grant to James Douglas in 1511. (Historic Scotland )
Building Dates
C.1500; 17th century; Mid 18th century; 1885-1887
Remodelled by Kinnear and Peddie

Category of Risk and Development History

Category of Risk
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
June 1990, 21/05/2009, 24/08/2011
Development History
June 1990: External inspection reveals the house to be a ruinous shell, stripped and partially demolished in 1953. April 2004: The owner reports that he would be willing to consider serious expressions of interest in the property. Access is strictly by prior permission from the owner. November 2004: Local planners report that the owner continues to be willing to receive expressions of interest in the house. September 2005: Scotland on Sunday carries an advert for the sale of the property through for o/o £250K
May 2009: External inspection reveals that the condition of the building has altered little since the last visit by SCT. A local resident reports that the property has recently been sold.
August 2011: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit.
14 February 2013: A member of the public notes the property is currently being advertised for sale through agent Rettie's at offers over £300,000. The sale particulars note the current owners had had an architect prepare plans towards a proposal to bring the property back into residential use.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
01835 826563


Current Availability
For Sale
Appointed Agents
Rettie (as at Feb 2013)
Offers over £300,000 (as at Feb 2013)
Occupancy Type
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Type of Ownership

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Dean and Miers (1990), p16; Strang (1994), p146; Transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society, 1913, and 1952, p26.
Online Resources
Castles, Palaces and Fortified Houses
Original Entry Date
Date of Last Edit