Cammo House Stables, Cammo Road, Edinburgh

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2019.

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Cammo House Stables
Other Name(s)
Address
Cammo Road, Edinburgh
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
1256
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NT 1752 7439
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
30259

Description

U-plan, classical single storey and loft stable block; central octagonal tower. Droved sandstone ashlar; base course; band course at springing of arch; moulded cornice with blocking course. Roofless shell remains.

A-Group with Cammo House Bridge, Quadrant Walls, Boundary Walls, Rubble Bridge, Knoll, Walled Garden and Water Tower. The stables at Cammo were built by James Watson, who was also responsible for the Water Tower and alterations to the house: the L-plan extension and crenellated parapet (see separate list descriptions). On maps predating the erection of Watson's stables, there are buildings on that site and they remain represented on later maps too. It is probable that these were the stables built by Sir John Clerk. Following the erection of Watson's stable it is likely that these earlier buildings would have been put to some other livestock use; it is believed that they were used as a piggery. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
Dated 1811; initials IW (James Watson).
Architects
James Watson

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Ruinous
Category of Risk
Low
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
June 1991
, January 2002
, December 2002, 21/11/2012, 10/2/2015
Development History
June 1991: External inspection reveals the stables to be a roofless ruin within a public park. SCT understands that the National Trust for Scotland (which has a conservation agreement for the whole of the Cammo House Estate) feued the building to Edinburgh City Council in c.1980. February 2000: Local planners report no change. January 2002: External inspection reveals no major change, although there is some evidence of stabilisation works having taken place. March 2004: Local planners report that the stables remain ruinous and a suitable solution is being sought. August 2006: Local planners report no change.
February 2008: Local planners report the stables remain a stabilised ruin.
July 2011: The Cammo Estate Draft Management Plan 2011-2020 notes an incentive to conserve and restore much of the landscaping of the estate, which includes an intention to seek funding towards formal stabilisation of the Stables as a ruin, during 2012.
21 November 2012: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit. Vegetation growth at wallheads is of concern.
10 February 2015: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
0131 529 3901

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
City of Edinburgh Council
Type of Ownership
Local Authority

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Ancillary Buildings
Original Entry Date
27-JUN-91
Date of Last Edit
03/05/2013