Craigmarloch Stables, Craigmarloch

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Craigmarloch Stables
Other Name(s)
Address
Craigmarloch
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
1588
Listing Category
C
OS Grid Ref
NS 7371 7753
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
50227

Description

2-storey, 7-bay, Symmetrical rectangular-plan, former stable building in classical style with central pediment with blind oculus sited near a former basin of the Forth and Clyde Canal. The stables are a consolidated ruin complete to wallhead constructed of droved buff sandstone ashlar with rubble to sides and back. The building has margined quoins, segmental-headed openings (most bricked up) with raised margins, stone cills and continuous eaves cornice capping. Central entrance door with doors to penultimate left and far right bays. Single door to east elevation and two small windows to rear elevation (lower open).

Craigmarloch Stables is an example of the style of classical stable building designed in the early 19th century specifically for the Forth and Clyde Canal which is the oldest and longest canal in Scotland. The stables at Craigmarloch, which are roofless, are an integral and surviving part of this historic canal system. Hume describes them as the 'standard' stable design for the canal, other examples of which exist at Lambhill and Glasgow Bridge (see separate listings). There are a small number of stable blocks, constructed in the 1820s-30s along the length of the canal to coincide with the introduction of fast passenger boats (swifts), for which they provided fresh horses at regular intervals of around 6.5 to 7.5 kilometres. Each stable fulfilled the same function, providing a house for a stable keeper, stall accommodation for horses and a hay store above. The stable network on the canal included a small number of nonstandard stable designs at Underwood, Wyndford and Lock 16 towards the east end of the canal which was built first. The 'standard' classical stables were built after the completion of the canal in 1790, in some instances superseding the earlier stable blocks, and in a similar style to the Forth and Clyde offices at Port Dundas (circa 1812, see separate listings). The stables are located on raised ground adjacent to the canal feeder which runs south on an aqueduct over the Dullatur Bog to join the canal. During the construction of the canal in the late 18th century the bog became an engineering challenge when the engineering works and first newly built stables slid into the bog shortly after construction. The current stables were a replacement and built on higher, sound ground some distance from the canal. The canal, feeder, and a number of other associated structures are a Scheduled Monument. See Scheduled Monument No 6766 for full details. The Forth and Clyde Canal is the oldest and the longest canal in Scotland completed in 1790. The idea to link the east and west coasts of Scotland by a waterway was to avoid the difficult sea trade route around the north coast and was first considered in the reign of Charles II (1660-85). Surveys were carried out in 1726, 1762 and then in 1763-4 by Yorkshire Engineer John Smeaton (1724-1792) who proceeded to design and oversee its first stage of construction. First called the Great Canal it was an impressive feat of engineering at 38.75 miles long and rising to 156 feet above sea level near the centre through 20 locks to the east side and 19 to the west. The building of the canal was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1768 with an estimated cost of £150,000. Construction began under Smeaton at the east coast in June 1768 but financial difficulties by 1775 meant that it stalled at the east side of Glasgow. Robert Mackell took over as the principal on-site engineer in 1777 but work stalled again and was not resumed until 1785 when a government grant of £50,000 allowed work to continue under Robert Whitworth (1734-1799). Whitworth was an experienced canal engineer from England who managed the project until completion when it opened to trade in July 1790. In 1791 the 3 mile branch link into central Glasgow at Port Dundas was opened. The water for the canal was provided to the highest point by the Townhead Reservoir near Kilsyth and later by the Monkland Canal. As the canal was designed to link the two coasts it had to carry seagoing vessels. As a result of this it was relatively large at 2.4 metres deep and 19.2 metres wide in most places, and all the bridges were designed to clear the waterway to allow boat's masts to pass through. The bridges were first built as timber 'drawbridge' designs but by the 19th century these had been replaced by timber and cast-iron 'bascule bridges' which worked like a drawbridge and were lifted by hand-operated gearing. The two most major engineering projects were the aqueducts; the single-arched Kirkintilloch example by Smeaton of 1772, and the four-arched Kelvin viaduct by Whitworth of 1787-9. The latter was the largest engineering work of its kind in Britain when built. The canal became an integral element in the industrial landscape in Scotland until 1840 onwards when there was a significant drop in income for the canals with the introduction of the railways. The Canal had other subsidiary business interests which continued after its usage declined such as providing waste water to local industries and even to the railways who had become their main competitors in the later 19th century. A subsequent Act of Parliament in 1867 authorised the sale of the Forth and Clyde and the Monkland Canal to the Caledonian Railway, who ran both transport systems until the railway became more profitable and the canals less used. The Forth and Clyde canal was closed in 1963 due to lack of use and lay unused until 2002 when it was reopened following the 'Millennium Link Project', a major refurbishment scheme costing £84 million which required re-dredging the canal and raising the height of later road bridges. The project also reconnected the Forth and Clyde and Union Canals by designing the 'Falkirk Wheel' a major engineering project and the world's first and only rotating boat lift. The wheel was built to replace the 11 locks at Camelon, which were dismantled in 1933, by rotating the boats in paired gondolas to raise or lower them 35 metres. The canal is now used primarily by the leisure and tourist industry. The stables are within the boundaries of the Scheduled Ancient Monument but are excluded from the scheduling and within the Antonine Wall Buffer Zone. Previously listed as 'Kilsyth, Forth and Clyde Canal, Craigmarloch Stables'. Currently roofless (2013). Listed building record updated and category changed from B to C as part of Scottish Canals Estate Review (2013-14). (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
Circa 1820
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Ruinous
Category of Risk
Low
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
July 1991, 5/02/2008, 27/05/2010, 11/11/2014
Development History

June 1988: SCT receives information that Cumbernauld and Kilsyth District Council is disposed towards granting permission for a change of use to a pub and restaurant, with an associated new dwelling for the manager. Plans are never subsequently concluded.

July 1991: External inspection reveals the stables to be derelict and deteriorating, after having lain vacant for a number of years.

April 1992: SCT understands that negotiations are continuing with potential developers.

November 1996: An imminent decision on the route of the M80 may affect the marketability of the property.

August 1997: An outline planning application is submitted for the conversion of the stables to residential use.

February 1998: The outline planning application is approved.

January 2001: SCT understands that the stables are now subject to a dispute over ownership, which may result in permissions remaining unimplemented.

April 2003: Local planners report no change.

June 2005: The local planners report that there may still be issues surrounding ownership of adjoining land. Redevelopment of the property may happen in the future.

March 2006: Historic Scotland List the Stables as Category B - they are within the boundaries of the Scheduled Ancient Monument but are excluded from the scheduling.
February 2008: External inspection reveals the building to remain ruinous. It is unroofed and has many trees growing inside which has grown taller than the walls. The doorway is open and there is a makeshift den formed inside.
May 2010: External inspection finds that the building remains a roofless ruin. Plant growth surrounding the building has been cut back. The west elevation required repointing.
July 2010: British Waterways Scotland lodge applications for Conversion of Ruined Stable Block (Grade B-listed) into a Dwellinghouse and Construction of a Dwellinghouse and an Out-Building, ref: 10/00805/FUL.
27 April 2012: Plan for the restoration and re-use of the former stables remain undecided.
11 November 2014: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously. Listed Building Consent for restoration of the building to form a dwelling was withdrawn ref: 10/00806/LBC.
4 August 2015: Historic Scotland re-assessed the building as a category C-listed building 2013-14. Listed status updated from B to category C accordingly.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
01236 632636

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Stables
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: N/A
Name of Owners
Scottish Canals
Type of Ownership
Statutory Body

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
1st edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map (1859). J Lindsay, THE CANALS OF SCOTLAND (1968). J Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND 1, LOWLANDS AND BORDERS (1976) p246. A I Bowman, SWIFTS AND QUEENS (1984). Hay and Stell, MONUMENTS OF INDUSTRY (1986) pp219-220. P Carter, FORTH AND CLYDE CANAL GUIDEBOOK (2001). T J Dowds, THE FORTH AND CLYDE CANAL: A HISTORY (2003).
Online Resources
Classification
Canals
Original Entry Date
05-JUL-91
Date of Last Edit
23/07/2018