Loth Parish Church (Former), Lothmore

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Loth Parish Church (Former)
Other Name(s)
Address
Lothmore
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
1623
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NC 97093 11380
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
7149

Description

Modelled on Kintore Church by Archibald Simpson, Aberdeen. Gothic; rectangular; coursed stugged ashlar, tooled ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. Wide advanced centre bay at west gable, with hoodmoulded centre entrance and dated plaque above; centre hoodmoulded gallery window with simple Perpendicular tracery; diagonal
buttresses terminating with crocketted pinnacles with stiff leaf finials; similarly detailed apex bell-cote.

Church no long in ecclesiastical use. Former church site and old Burial Ground just below present church; modern burial ground to east. Helmsdale and Navidale in Loth Parish until transferred to Kildonan Parish in 1841. Plaque over door reads; IMPENSIS NOBILISSIN GEORGII GRANVILLII
LEVESON GOWER STAFFORDIENSIS COMITATUS MARCHIONI ET NOBILISSIME ELIZABETHAE SUTHERLAND EUJUSDE COMTATU MARCHIONE-SSAE SUTHERLANDIAE COMITISSAE. ANNO MDCCCXXII Loth church copy Kintore Church, Aberdeenshire; Archibald Simpson, 1819, as directed by Countess of Sutherland. "The kirk at loth is well up. It is taken as your Ladyship directed, from the one at Mintore". (letter from James Loch
to Countess. 12 Aug. 1821.) Built at cost of $1,504.2s.3d. "A modern, handsome and commodious edifice" (c.1858). (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
1822
Architects
copy of Archibald Simpson's Kintore Church, possibly executed by Alexander Coupar

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Fair
Category of Risk
Low
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
June 1996, 02/09/2008, 19/6/2012, 2/10/2013
Development History
June 1996: External inspection reveals the church to be vacant and unused. SCT understands that it was sold by the Church of Scotland in 1984, and then subsequently sold again. The pulpit, sounding board and communion table have now been removed to the Timespan Heritage Centre in Helmsdale. May 2000: Local planners are unaware of any change. November 2002: Local planners report that the property remains vacant. June 2006: LPA reports no change to property
September 2008: External inspection reveals that the church is overall in a fair state of repair. However, the leaded windows are corroded with some missing glass. The roof appears sunken in places and the guttering is blocked with vegetation. Local planners report some initial discussions had taken place with the building owners in the past, but no formal development plans have been received as yet.
19 June 2012: External inspection finds gutters are being kept clear and repairs are being made to the windows, though further breakages are occuring.
2 October 2013: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Church/Convent/Monastery
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: N/A
Name of Owners
Mr A. Craig Mackay
Type of Ownership
Private

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Sutherland Papers, National Library of Scotland.
Bibliography
Beaton (1995), pp67-68; Gifford (1992), p589.
Classification
Churches and Chapels
Original Entry Date
14-JUN-96
Date of Last Edit
08/07/2014