The Old Haa of Scalloway, New Street, Scalloway

General Details and Location

Category
RESTORATION IN PROGRESS
Name of Building
The Old Haa of Scalloway
Other Name(s)
The Old Haa
Address
New Street, Scalloway
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
1891
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
HU 40378 39369
Location Type
Small Town
HS Reference No
18558

Description

3 storey 5 bay laird's house, rubble built with a slate roof. The moulded doorway is surmounted by an armorial panel inscribed '1750 James Scott and Katharine Sinclair,' heirs of estates in both Scalloway and Houss. The interior was modernised, although recent information suggests that much of the original work remains in situ behind the plasterboard. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
circa 1750
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Good
Category of Risk
Low
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
August 2000, June 2006, 11/09/2008, 24/03/2010, 23/6/2014
Development History
November 1990: SCT receives information that the haa has been the subject of a legal dispute over ownership, which has resulted in it being left vacant. A restoring purchaser had bought the property and had commenced its conversion into flats, although much work remains. June 1995: No change reported. August 2000: External inspection reveals the building to remain vacant and derelict. SCT understands that there is hope the building will be acquired by Scalloway Waterfront Trust. January 2001: The property is acquired by SWT, who intend to restore it. January 2002: SCT receives information that consents and funding have been obtained for external refurbishment works. Future uses for the building are being sought. July 2003: Historic Scotland reports that repair works are now complete. June 2006: External inspection reveals the building restoration is complete externally but works to the interior are yet to be completed. SCT understands the building has been sold to a private developer who convert the interior to flats.
September 2008: External inspection confirms that restoration of the exterior is complete. The interior appears to have been stripped out, awaiting restoration. Local planners confirm permissions exist for full restoration and conversion to flats.
March 2010: External inspection finds the building continues to be disused. Building materials to the front suggest interior restoration works may be underway. The render on the north and south elevations is slighly damaged.
7 February 2013: Local planners report works to the interior are ongoing. Moved to Restoration in Progress.
23 June 2014: External inspection finds the renovation of the property continuing with much of the internal work well underway.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Scalloway
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
01595 744800

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Residential
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: N/A
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Company

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Dean and Miers (1990), p99; Gifford (1992), p507.
Online Resources
Classification
Middle-sized Houses
Original Entry Date
28-NOV-90
Date of Last Edit
20/01/2015