Store/ Girnal at Rodel, Rodel

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2019.

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Store/ Girnal at Rodel
Other Name(s)
Address
Rodel
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
1949
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NG 04624 83311
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
12908

Description

2 storey 3 bay girnal in rendered rubble. The main elevation features a forestair leading to a central door at first floor level, flanked by a small single casement window to either side with 19th century glazing. Ground floor level is accessed via 3 doors on the rear elevation. The roof is in corrugated iron, whilst a walled close sits to the rear with a flat-arched cart opening. It is surrounded by a high rubble wall to the rear. A low and roofless rectangular-plan outbuilding is recessed to the right.

Presumably part of the development programme at Rodel by Captain MacLeod of Harris in the 1780s. MacLeod had purchased the island from the MacLeods of Harris, and had moved there to stay in about 1782. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
Late 18th-Early 19th century
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Very Poor
Category of Risk
High
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
July 1993, September 1998, July 2000, 16/07/2008, 18/03/2010, 11/6/2015
Development History
July 1993: External inspection reveals the building to be empty and deteriorating. June 1995: SCT understands that there has been a recent expression of interest from a potential restorer, although it is felt that the scale of works may militate against consent being granted. July 2000: External inspection reveals no change. June 2005: No change reported.
January 2009: External inspection finds the roof to be failing and allowing water ingress into the structure. Windows frames and glazings are missing on the ground floor.
March 2010: External inspection finds this striking building unsecured and decaying rapidly.
8 December 2014: Listed Building Consent for the redevelopment of the site to form a bakery and hostel with ancillary use as café is being sought ref: 14/00234/LBC.
11 June 2015: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously - subject to slow deterioration. Listed Building Consent for restoration and conversion to form a bakery/ hostel/ cafe was withdrawn Mar 2015 ref: 14/00234/LBC.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
08456 007090

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Mr John Campbell
Type of Ownership
Private

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Farming
Original Entry Date
16-FEB-94
Date of Last Edit
12/10/2015