General Details and Location
Name of Building
Postcode (click to find nearby buildings)
Planning Authority (click to search)
Divisional Area (click to search)
OS Grid Ref
NK 1015 3610
HS Reference No
Magnificant sea-girt courtyard palace erected by the Ninth Earl of Erroll after James VI destroyed his old castle at Collieston. The wings were customary one room thick, each apartment opening into the next, so that in 1664 a gallery was added within the courtyard to add a corridor, and a new entrance front in 1707. A magnificant ogee-roofed bow window was added in the middle of the south flank. Substantially rebuilt and granite faced in 1836-7 by John Smith in the Baronial style. Unroofed in 1925 (Charles McKean) Bram Stoker is thought to have written part of Dracula whilst staying at Crookit Lum Cottage near Cruden Bay in 1895. He may have visited the castle as a guest of William Hay, 19th Earl of Errol. (The Herald)
1664; Enlarged and virtually rebuilt 1836-7.
Unknown; John Smith 1836-7
Category of Risk and Development History
Category of Risk
Exemptions to State of Risk
2 March 2004: The Buchan Observer reports that the castle has been derelict since the 1920s, although applications for restoration as 35 holiday lets are soon to be lodged by Acanthus Architects Douglas Forrest on behalf of the Slains Partnership. 11 September 2004: The Aberdeen Evening Express reports that local planners have backed the plans. 14 September 2004: The Buchan Observer reports that the plans are likely to be approved, though the Cruden Bay Community Association has expressed some concerns. Historic Scotland has reported that though the castle is unlisted, it is viewed as being of listable quality. It considers the proposals sympathetic to the building. 23 October 2004: The Aberdeen Evening Express reports that a public hearing is to be held in order to debate the plans. 10 November 2004: The Herald reports that outline Planning Permission has been granted. 16 November 2004: The Buchan Observer repeats the story.
February 2008: External inspection finds the property to be an unconsolidated ruin in an exposed, cliff top location. Outline Planning Permission was granted for restoration/ conversion for 35 holiday apartments in 2007. Ref: APP/2004/0321.
February 2009: SCT is contacted by a member of the public advising a news report had reported that the development has slowed and detailed planning permission has yet to lodged with Aberdeenshire Council.
October 2010: External inspection finds no significant change from the last site visit.
Guides to Development
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
Name of Owners
The Slains Partnership
Type of Ownership
Additional Contacts/Information Source
Banff and Buchan an illustrated architectural guide Charles McKean p 166-7 The Herald "Dracula Castle could rise from grave as holiday flat" Wednesday November 10, 2004
Country Houses, Mansions and Large Villas
Original Entry Date
Date of Last Edit