Dalkeith Park Conservatory, Dalkeith Country Park, Dalkeith

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2019.

General Details and Location

Category
RESTORATION IN PROGRESS
Name of Building
Dalkeith Park Conservatory
Other Name(s)
The Orangerie
Address
Dalkeith Country Park, Dalkeith
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
2984
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NT 33818 68175
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
1410

Description

Symmetrical dodecahedral conservatory with rich Jacobean detailing, on raised dais over heating chamber. Ashlar. Bays divided by engaged roman Doric Columns. Large window in each bay; door to S, extended from window. Moulded architraves with decorative modillion at centre. Base, lower part of columns and central chimney stack strapworked. Jacobean motifs to capitals and Greek Doric entablature. Shaped strapworked motifs over bays at parapet level. Columns originally surmounted by spiked vases. Originally small-pane glazing pattern in 3-light sash and case windows, 24-pane with 16-pane side-lights; glazing now missing, some astragals remaining and frames largely intact. Steps up to terrace from S, W and E; some newels remaining of former strapworked balustrade. Moulded panels to wall to N below terrace level; door to vaulted heating chamber and flanking windows, with bolection-moulded and shouldered architraves.

The Conservatory was conceived as the centrepiece of W S Gilpin's parterre design, little trace of which now remains. The heating system consisted of two hot-water boilers and furnaces located in the vaulted cellar; the furnaces were directly connected to the main flue within the central chimney. The strapwork is probably derived from Wendel Dietterlin's ARCHITECTURA. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
1832-1834
Architects
William Burn

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Fair
Category of Risk
Low
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
01/10/1993, 30/10/2008, 07/03/2012
Development History
October 1993: External inspection reveals the conservatory to be derelict, with all its roof slates now lost.
October 2008: External inspection reveals that the conservatory is in a derelict state. Only the skeleton of the structure remains as the glazing and most of the window frames have been lost. A notice on the fence states that the repair and refurbishment of the conservatory is part of the estate's ongoing plan of restoration.
November 2008: Local planners report that a study has been commissioned to enhance the park and it is hoped that the conservatory will form part of the enhancement scheme.
March 2012: External inspection finds the building remains at risk. It appears that some of stepped sections have been damaged since the last site visit.
14 December 2015: Listed Building Consent for the instatement of a temporary retracting roof and architectural lighting is being sought ref: 15/00905/LBC.
7 March 2017: Buccleuch Estates advise the masonry of the structure has been stabilised, gutters repaired and a temporary roof installed to prevent any further deterioration. The building is intended to re-open to visitors to Dalkeith Country Park. Moved to Restoration in Progress.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Dalkeith House and Park
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
0131 271 3465

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Conservatory/Glasshouse
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: N/A
Name of Owners
Buccleuch Estates
Type of Ownership
Company

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Perspective elevation from Duke of Buccleuch's Collection of Drawings at Drumlanrig, Inventory No 37 (14), copy at NMRS. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1980) p 161. A Johnstone, "William Burn's Concervatory at Dalkeith Park", ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE SOCIETY OF SCOTLAND JOURNAL 1988 No 15 pp 4-13. C Aslet and M Hall, "Sandon Hall, Staffordshire", COUNTRY LIFE 13 June 1991 pp174-181.
Classification
Ancillary Buildings
Original Entry Date
07-OCT-93
Date of Last Edit
07/03/2017