Temple of Decision, Green Hill, Lomond Hills

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Temple of Decision
Other Name(s)
Address
Green Hill, Lomond Hills
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
2988
Listing Category
C
OS Grid Ref
NO 23113 07083
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
8768

Description

Former single chamber pedimented temple summerhouse, situated on prominent site in landscape, now in semi-ruinous condition (2011). Ashlar to exterior, rubble interior. Round-arched niche to W. Ashlar gatepier with pedimented coping to N.

This summerhouse, called the Temple of Decision, was built as a focal point in the landscape when viewed from the principal rooms in the House of Falkland (see separate listing) and continues to make a contribution to the landscape of Falkland Estate. It is possible that it is a rare surviving example of a garden temple in Scotland. The policies around the House of Falkland were conceived as a designed landscape in the 19th century and contain a number of architectural features, including bridges, which were planned to add to the experience of the enjoyment of the estate for visitors and for the owners. Set on a high point within the estate, the temple would have been one of the most important features within this landscape. It is now in a ruinous state (2011). The plan of the temple was derived from the Temple of Theseus in Athens and comprised a single room with a prostyle portico and Roman pediment. The history of the House of Falkland Estate is linked to that of nearby Falkland Palace, which lies immediately to the east. In its present form, the estate dates from the early 19th century when it was acquired by John Bruce when he became Keeper of the Palace of Falkland in 1821. During his time at the estate, Bruce improved the lands around the existing estate house, Nuthill House (now demolished), built the Stables (see separate listing), and cascades and bridges were erected over the Mill and Maspie Burns. On his death in 1826, his niece Margaret Bruce inherited the Estate. She married Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce in 1828 and they made the decision to demolish Nuthill House and to build a new residence. The architect for the new house was William Burn and the house was built in 1839-44. They also laid out the formal garden around the house and created a number of landscape features, including this temple. The 3rd Marquis of Bute then bought the Estate in 1887 and he employed Robert Weir Schultz and William Frame to carry out interior work in the House. He also completed some Arts & Crafts landscaping to the estate. The house was used as a convalescent home in the First World War and as a home for Polish Airmen in the Second World War. The House of Falkland is currently a school (2011). Alexander Roos (circa 1810-1881) was born in Rome and was both an architect and a landscape gardener. He moved to England and by 1843, he was working in Scotland. He had a good relationship with William Burn, and worked with him at the House of Falkland and also at Whitehill in Midlothian (see separate listing) and also in Lincolnshire. (List description updated 2011). (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
1850s
Architects
Alexander Ross

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Ruinous
Category of Risk
Critical
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
February 1992, September 1996, 27/09/2007, 26/01/2011
Development History
February 1992: External inspection reveals the temple to be derelict and in danger of collapse. September 1996: External inspection reveals that the temple has been greatly dismantled, with the front portico now fallen down adjacent. October 2007: External inspection reveals little to remain of the temple except remnants of walls and rubble.
January 2011: External inspection finds no significant change since the last site visit. The building continues to deteriorate and is a cause for concern.
24 May 2014: Site visit attempted but not accessible due to loss of footbridge. Eastate Factor advises the building remains awaiting restoration.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
03451 555555

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Ancillary Buildings
Original Entry Date
18-FEB-92
Date of Last Edit
17/12/2014