Scott-Douglas Mausoleum, Springwood Caravan Park, Kelso

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Scott-Douglas Mausoleum
Other Name(s)
Address
Springwood Caravan Park, Kelso
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
3005
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NT 71422 33567
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
12952

Description

Neo-classical temple mausoleum; rectangular-plan, 4 by 6-bay cells on raised basement, polished ashlar with unfluted Roman Doric pilaster order, entablature with triglyphs and guttae at frieze, mutuled cornice and raking members, stylised acroteria on front (E) pediment. Centre architraved door with frieze and cornice (now blocked, original elaborate door now lost) and pair flanking niches on E front, blind panels above. W elevation has semi-circular headed architraved window flanked by niches.

Probably built contemporaneously with Gillespie Graham's additions to Springwood house (now demolished), and with entrance gateway and lodges, circa 1820. Said to have been consecrated by Bishop of Glasgow 1838. Elaborate additions (statuary and tetrastyle portico) proposed by Brown and Wardrop, 1853, not executed. Interior vandalised, and subsequently blocked (1989): evidently with black and white marble floor; wall-mounted memorial panels to members of the Scott-Douglas family contained within. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)
Building Dates
C.1820-1825
Architects
James Gillespie Graham

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
Moderate
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
01/04/1992, 26/11/2008, 24/08/2011, 3/11/2016
Development History
April 1992: The Springwood Park Estate has now been sold and divided up, leaving the mausoleum without access on the edge of a field. External inspection reveals it to be vandalised and neglected. The door has been boarded up. Local planners report that the owner of what is now Springwood Caravan Park is keen to demolish the mausoleum due to the vandalism. March 1994: Local planners report that the owner has been instructed to cut down sapling growth and repair rainwater goods. October 1995: Local planners report no change.
November 2008: External inspection finds that a notice is attached to the mausoleum stating that the roof is in a fragile condition. The entrance to the structure has been permanently sealed with bricks and cement in recent years. The ashlar masonry appears chipped in places and the rainwater goods have been broken. Moved to At Risk.
August 2011: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit. The condition of the roof remains poor, but the stone details appear remarkably intact.
3 November 2016: External inspection finds the encroachment from the surrounding woodland is making access around the monument difficult and the ground is damp. Rainwater goods are broken and in poor condition. Risk level moved to Moderate.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
01835 826563

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Springwood Caravan Park
Type of Ownership
Company

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Haig's History of Kelso and Roxburgh , 1825. Duncan MacNaughton, booklet, The Story of Springwood . C.A. Strang, Borders and Berwick: An Illustrated Architectural Guide to the Scottish Borders and Tweed Valley, 1994 p.106.
Online Resources
Classification
Mausolea
Original Entry Date
08-APR-92
Date of Last Edit
17/02/2017