Broadford Works: Hackling Building, Maberly Street, Aberdeen

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Broadford Works: Hackling Building
Other Name(s)
Broadford Firehose and Canvas Works (Former)
Address
Maberly Street, Aberdeen
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
3543
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NJ 93584 06814
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
43908

Description

L plan ranges of two distintive styles or phases, from the east, parapeted venetianed windowed front to the office court; 12 by 2 bay pilasted building running west. Part of large group of textile manufacturing and storage buildings, granite and brick-clad, of iron-framed or reinforced concrete construction, with setted streets between them. Slate or flat concrete roofs.

The oldest iron-framed mill in Scotland and the fourth oldest known to survive in the world (after others of 1796, 1804 and 1805, all inter- related). The adjoining South Mill may be the third iron framed building in Scotland.

Built for Scott Brown and Co (of Angus), 1808, bankrupt 1811 and sold to Sir John Maberly MP, entrepreneur, speculator and introducer of jute to the UK. Maberley rapidly developed Broadford Works, adopting the first gas lighting of an industrial complex in Scotland, by Boulton and Watt in 1814-15, and Scotland's second power loom linen weaving factory in Scotland in 1824. Maberly was himself bankrupt and in 1834 the works passed to Richards and Co, who had a bleachworks at Rubislaw and branches at Montrose, produced canvas tarpaulins and as a particular specialism, fire hoses. Latterly man- made fibres for carpet yarn etc has replaced flax. Employment peaked at 3,000, once the largest single employer in Aberdeen. (Historic Scotland).
Building Dates
1860, later additions
Architects

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
Moderate
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
12/06/2008, 28/11/2012, 19/09/2017
Development History
July 2004: 13 July 2004: The Aberdeen Evening Express reports that the works are vacant and unused. Hawkrow Ltd is seeking permissions to convert some listed structures into flats and to build 5 blocks of flats, 4 houses, a car park and supermarket on the site. A strict planning brief for the site was compiled by local planners in 2001 and allows for the demolition of the eastern side of the site.
June 2007: 22 June 2007: The Aberdeen Evening Express reports that an application has been put before the planning committee by First Construction for a £50m scheme centred on the mill including 398 flats, shops, offices, a restaurant, a pub and 501 parking spaces. No decision was reached pending a site visit. Concerns were raised over the height of some of the buildings, the impact on shops on George Street, a lack of affordable housing and the lack of a playpark.
June 2008: External inspection finds the building to be in fair condition, possibly as a result of the construction materials. Vegetation is growing on the parapets and the tank to the rear. Grafitti is evident on the brick tower.
August 2008: Local planners report that planning permission has been granted, following an appeal and inquiry. Listed building consent has not yet been granted.
June 2009: STV Newswebsite reports on a fire breaking out at the Broadford Works site, one building is reported to have had damage to the roof, with further damage to other buildings. Local planners advise that they hope to make a site visit to the Works in the near future.
December 2009: Local planners report that Tenants First Housing Co-operative has expressed interest in Broadford Works.
February 2011: The Press & Journal reports on a public consultation to commence next week on revised plans for Broadford Works complex. The article notes the proposal is to convert the site to a housing/ leisure complex with an additional new build element of 220 flats. A Proposal of Application Notice was submitted to Aberdeen City Council Oct 2010 ref: 101667.
August 2011: Local planners confirm a fire occurred at the site yesterday. Not thought to have caused any serious damage. Prince's Regeneration Trust and the site‘s owners are continuing to work together to draw up development plans for the site.
December 2011: Urban Realm website reports applications have been lodged with Aberdeen City Council to develop the former mill site into a residential development, retail and restaurant spaces and a nursety, with access to the city opened up by a series of new public spaces. The article notes a phased programme led by the Prince’s Regeneration Trust is planned to implement the scheme with close collaboration between the site owner, the Council, Historic Scotland and the Tenant First House Co-operative.
3 July 2012: Aberdeen City Council have produced, in partnership with the building's owner and Grampian Fire and Rescue Service, a risk assessment survey of the former works, highlighting security issues around the perimeter of the site that pose hazards to unauthorised accessing of the site, and to emergency services personnel responding to incidents at the site. The report outlines measures to reduce unauthorised accessing of the site and measures to reduce hazards within the site. Alongside this report a Dangerous Building Notice has been served requiring works to be completed by July 31 2012. During this period the Council's Community Safety Team has introduced CCTV monitoring of the site and City Wardens are increasing patrols around the site.
20 July 2012: STV News reports First Construction Limited's proposal to create 517 new homes, commercial space, restaurant, and nursery, with retention and conversion of 11 of the A-listed buildings, has failed to gain permission at Aberdeen City Council's development sub committee meeting. The article goes on to report concerns were expressed over the lack of affordable housing, the numbers of historic buildings proposed for demolition, potential over-development of the site and a lack of planning gain contributions towards local infrastructure.
28 November 2012: Limited external inspection possible from the boundary of the site. General, slow deterioration in condition is evident.
15 February 2017: Planning Permission in Principle, revising an earlier proposal, was conditionally approved Sept 2016 for a residential/ commercial and leisure redevelopment of the former mill site. A number of the structures within the complex were previously approved for demolition Jan 2015 and some of these demolition works are currently underway.
19 September 2017: Accompanied site visit with site agent. External and partial survey. General slow deterioration is evident. Window glazings and widely broken/ missing. Rainwater goods are chocked with vegetation in places and missing in others. Dampness is evident beneath malfunctioning rainwater goods.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
08456 081207

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Type of Ownership
Company

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
K A Falconer "Fireproof Mills - the Widening Perspectives" in INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY REVIEW XIV 1, AUTUMN 1993, pp11-26. J Tann THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE FACTORY (1970) P 44. Birmingham Reference Library Boulton and Watt Collection pf.81. E Gauldie pp 112-125 in J Butt and K Ponting eds, SCOTTISH TEXTILE HISTORY (AUP 1987). A GUIDE TO SCOTTISH INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE (1996) p 34. A J Warden THE LINEN TRADE ANCIENT AND MODERN (1864) pp 540-1, 711.
Online Resources
Classification
Textile Industries
Original Entry Date
28-JUL-08
Date of Last Edit
12/10/2017