Shed at Ettrick Mills, Dunsdale Road, Selkirk

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Shed at Ettrick Mills
Other Name(s)
Address
Dunsdale Road, Selkirk
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
3698
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NT 47168 29288
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
40578

Description

Shed to North-East of main mill, circa 1880-90, excluding large modern extension. 2 blocks of North-lit sheds, later united by sheet-metal-clad shed which now appears to be demolished. High parapet walls, with round-arched windows and doors to Southern-most 8 bay block (perhaps for wool scouring, given the louvred ventilator). North block (perhaps weaving shed') blind 12-bay, 8 bays set back behind later lean-to additions. Small building in re-entrant perhaps an engine house. Slate roofs with North-East-facing skylights.

Part of the biggest mutli-storey spinning mill in the Borders. Built for mule-spinning by James and Henry Brown of Galashiels, honorary burgesses of Selkirk. Later carried on by the Scotch Tweed Manufacturing Society and from 1895 was the Ettrick Tweed and Blanket Mill of the Scottish Wholesale Cooperative Society, converted solely to spinning by Ettrick and Yarrow Spinners Ltd FROM 1962. Spinning ceased in the multi-storey mill in 1989, but continues in the modern shed (built 1968, not of special architectural interest). Some machinery is now displayed and worked at New Lanark. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)
Building Dates
1880-90
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
Moderate
Exemptions to State of Risk
The other buildings in the complex are in use and not at risk so exempt from this record.
Field Visits
13/11/2008, 14/07/2011, 15/7/2016
Development History
November 2008: External inspection reveals that the shed is disused with most of its openings bricked or boarded up. It would appear that demolition of an adjoining structure has taken place to the rear of the building.
July 2011: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit.
18 August 2016: External inspection finds the range remains in much the same condition as seen previously.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
01835 826563

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Hume (1976) p242; SCWS Yearbook 1913; Borders Regional Archive.
Online Resources
Classification
Textile Industries
Original Entry Date
20-NOV-08
Date of Last Edit
10/02/2017