Lews Castle Sea Walls, Lady Lever Park, Stornoway

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Lews Castle Sea Walls
Other Name(s)
Address
Lady Lever Park, Stornoway
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
3780
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NB 4212 3300
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
19206

Description

Rubble-built sea walls including crenellations and intermittent, slightly taller and projecting turrets. Forms part of an extensive series of walls bounding the policies of Lews Castle (Lady Lever Park) and providing a driveway along the sea front. (Historic Scotland).

In 1919 Lord Leverhulme purchased the Castle and altered the interior, introducing a ballroom and installing electricity, heating, telephones and bells as part of an aborted scheme for a hotel by Lutyens and Lomax-Simpson. In 1923 the castle and its grounds were given to the people of Stornoway and subsequently served as a naval hospital before becoming a technical college for Ross and Cromarty County Council in 1953, closing in 1988. The Castle has been unoccupied since 1996. (M. Miers)
Building Dates
circa 1845
Architects
Possibly Charles Wilson

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Fair
Category of Risk
Moderate
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
02/02/2009, 14/03/2010, 12/6/2015
Development History
February 2009: The Stornoway Gazette reports on Lews Castle Trust seeking a development partner for the Castle and are inviting formal expressions of interest.
March 2009: The Press and Journal reports several developers have expressed interest in plans to regenerate the Castle and policies.
March 2010: Inspection finds the sea walls remain collapsed in parts.
May 2010: Stornoway Gazette reports whilst the second stage application to the HLF for redevelopment funding for the Lews Castle estate is progressing, repair works are due to commence over summer to the surrounding walls.
January 2011: BBC news website reports on a number of heritage projects having secured funding from the Scottish Government. Lews Castle is noted has securing £500,000.
7 May 2015: Listed Building Consent for localised repairs and restoration of the crenellated sea wall is being sought ref: 15/00138/LBC.
12 June 2015: Inspection finds the walls continue to deteriorate, accelerated in parts by extensive vegetation growth.
7 March 2016: Local planners advise a significant section of the sea wall has been repaired, as part of the Stornoway Townscape Heritage Initiative, using traditional lime mortar and masonry skills. Condition moved to Fair and Risk to Moderate.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Stornoway
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
08456 007090

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Western Isles Council
Type of Ownership
Local Authority

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Lews Castle Trust Ltd, c/o Iain Macleod, Western Isles Council, Department for Sustainable Communities, Sandwick Road, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis HS1 2BW
Bibliography
Gifford (1992), p631; Grant (1987); Ritchie and Harman (1985), p67; Discovery and Excavation Scotland, (3), 2002, p123. The Western Seaboard an illustrated architectural guide, M.Miers (2008) p 277-279.
Online Resources
Lews Castle Trust: http://www.lews-castle.com/
Classification
Ancillary Buildings
Original Entry Date
05-FEB-09
Date of Last Edit
07/03/2016