Gartnavel Royal Hospital: East House, Great Western Road, Kelvinside

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Gartnavel Royal Hospital: East House
Other Name(s)
Address
Great Western Road, Kelvinside
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
4814
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NS 55030 68034
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
32318

Description

One wing of a large Tudor style hospital in 2 detached E-plan ranges set at right angles; 2 or 3 storeys; attics and basements. More elaborate W range for wealthy patients, E range for the less fortunate, and correspondingly plainer. Both of stugged ashlar with polished margins and dressings; stonecleaned.

East wing: 21 bays arranged with 3-bay 3-storey end pavilions and 5-bay 3-storey central pavilions. Details as above except hood-moulds only to ground floor and label stops of doorpiece simple blocks. S flank with 2 small ogee-domed pavilions linking tall coursed rubble garden wall to S, (airing ground). INTERIOR: with large dormitories, few smaller rooms off. (Historic Scotland)

Gartnavel Royal was built to replace William Stark's 1809 asylum, which had been steadily expanding since its construction in Parliamentary Road. A new site was acquired in 1839 with Charles Wilson appointed as architect. The new asylum was originally designed in two sections to be connected by a chapel and offices, these however were not constructed and it wasn't until 1904-6 that a chapel was built when Sir JJ Burnet was employed to provide new plans. (H.Richardson/ Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
1841-3
Architects
Charles Wilson

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Fair
Category of Risk
Low
Exemptions to State of Risk
The record applies soley to the East House, the remainder of the complex is in use and not considered at risk.
Field Visits
10/11/2010, 9/6/2014
Development History
November 2010: Member of the public nominates the west wing for inclusion on the Register - thought to refer potentially to the East House, part of A-list main hospital buildings. Thought to have become unused following modernisation of the site around 2007. Building condition reported to be in poor condition, externally ground floor windows are boarded up.
9 June 2014: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition. Securing fencing is in place to public sides and building is secured by boarding and monitored.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
0141 287 5492

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
Type of Ownership
Health Authority/Trust

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Hospitals Project, unpublished manuscript by Harriet Richardson & Historic Scotland The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow (1990) Williamson, Riches & Higgs p 394
Classification
Hospitals
Original Entry Date
05-NOV-10
Date of Last Edit
12/06/2014