Camelon St Johns Church of Scotland, Glasgow Road, Camelon

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2019.

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Camelon St Johns Church of Scotland
Other Name(s)
Address
Glasgow Road, Camelon
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
5012
Listing Category
C
OS Grid Ref
NS 86758 80501
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
31234

Description

Romanesque. Originally rectangular plan with bellcote at north gable, square narthex building with porch 3 arched windows above, roof concealed by parapet, 3 2-light windows on flank. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
1838; Completed 1924
Architects
David Rhind

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
High
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
10/06/2011, 13/3/2015, 04/09/2019
Development History
August 2011: External inspection finds the church is boarded up and disused. There are broken panes in many of the windows. The roof is difficult to assess but it can be seen that there are patches at the rear of the east elevation which have lost their slates. Following the merger of two congregations in Dec 2003, St John‘s is understood to have been vacated in 2004 in favour of the Irving Street church. The St John‘s building is understood to have been retained for refurbishment and extension as a new centre for worship for the merged congregation. Fundraising for the project is ongoing.
28 June 2013: Listed Building Consent for demolition of the building with a retained facade fronting a new building is being sought ref: 13/0392/LBC.
16 September 2013: Local planners confirm a proposal has been submitted to Falkirk Council for retention of the north façade and demolition of existing structure with new build to create a worship centre, church, hall and community facilities. This application is currently under consideration.
13 March 2015: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously. Full Planning Permission for the partial demolition of the building, with a retained facade and new build church to the rear, was conditionally approved Dec 2014 ref: P/12/0840/FUL.
4 September 2019: External inspection reveals the building has deteriorated since the previous site visit. Holes have developed in the roof pitches with buddleia well established. Skews are being are being dislodged by sapling growth. Masonry is damp beneath defective rainwater goods. Whilst windows are mostly protected with screens, some glazing is broken and pigeons are within the building. The surround graveyard is being maintained but some markers to the East are in poor condition. Condition moved to poor and Risk to High.

Post-survey update: Local planners report Falkirk Council received a recent enquiry proposing the re-use of the existing building (with modifications and new roof) for mixed community uses – no formal applications have been lodged at this time.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
01324 504715

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Churches and Chapels
Original Entry Date
10-AUG-11
Date of Last Edit
20/09/2019