Hatton House: Garden Temple, Wilkieston

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Hatton House: Garden Temple
Other Name(s)
Address
Wilkieston
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
5101
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NT 12710 68752
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
27348

Description

Classical garden temple, rusticated round- arch; Lauderdale arms in keystone. Twin fluted Ionic pilasters frame arch opening; datestone above 2 right pilasters; inscribed 'Anno dom MDC 1704'. Rubble walls at rear and sides. INTERIOR: segmental-vaulted roof; channelled ashlar; raised ironplate against back wall. Recessed blind windows with fluted architraves in side walls. (Historic Scotland)

Hatton House was one of the great Renaissance houses of Scotland, expanded from an original tower and later Renaissance courtyard by Lord Charles Maitland. Its surrounding policies were equally imposing - parterres, formal gardens and wilderness. (R.Jacques/ C .McKean)

Hatton House was demolished in 1955, following a fire in 1952.
Building Dates
Dated 1704
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
Moderate
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
16/06/2011, 16/11/2012, 19/2/2015
Development History
June 2011: Inspection finds the building is surrounded by vegetation on three sides and, most seriously, on the roof. Cornice stones are being pushed apart and, in some cases, off the building onto the ground below. The northwest corner has partially collapsed. Some sections require re-pointing. Listed building consent and full planning permission to erect a new dwelling with associated outbuildings, demolish existing house and make alterations to existing surroundings buildings ref: 10/01823/LBC & 10/01822/FUL was lodged with Edinburgh City Council in Aug 2010. The application seeks to retain and repair the terraced garden structure. However, no plans have been lodged for the gazebo building.

16 November 2012: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit though close growing vegetation has been cut back. Listed building consent and full planning permission to erect a new dwelling with associated outbuildings, demolish existing house and make alterations to existing surroundings buildings ref: 10/01823/LBC & 10/01822/FUL were lodged but withdrawn.
19 February 2015: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
0131 529 3901

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Unverified. See FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p247-248. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) p249. J Tweedie & C Jones OUR DISTRICT (1975) p76-78. J R Findlay HATTON HOUSE (1875). 'Ding it Doon' Herbert Fenwick. COUNTRY LIFE Sept 16th 1911 Vol XXX No 767 pp408. NMRS Newspaper cuttings ML/3104; Small's CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS. West Lothian An Illustrated Architectural Guide R Jaques and C McKean (1994) p 107
Online Resources
Classification
Ancillary Buildings
Original Entry Date
01-NOV-11
Date of Last Edit
07/05/2013