Odeon Cinema (Former), Renfield Street, Glasgow

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Odeon Cinema (Former)
Other Name(s)
Paramount Cinema
Address
Renfield Street, Glasgow
Locality
Postcode (click to find nearby buildings)
Planning Authority (click to search)
Divisional Area (click to search)
Reference No
3165
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NS 58924 65591
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
49233

Description

Massive Art Deco cinema occupying half a city centre block bounded by Renfield Street, West Regent Street, West Nile Street and West Regent Lane. Curved entrance facade to main block with projecting fins and elevation to Renfield Street, cream-painted stone; 6-storey articulated red brick block housing auditorium to rear of main block.

Built to seat 2,800, Glasgow's Renfield Odeon (formerly the Paramount Cinema) was one of a new breed of super cinemas constructed in Britain in the 1930s. The American company Paramount employed prominent London architects Frank Verity and Samuel Beverley to construct these large luxurious cinemas in the major provincial cities. As well as building cinemas for other companies in London and elsewhere, the architects were responsible for Paramount cinemas in Manchester (1930), Newcastle (1931), Leeds (1932), Liverpool (1934), Glasgow (1934) and Birmingham (1937). This is the only cinema by Verity and Beverley to have been built in Scotland.

After the Second World War, Oscar Deutsch, the creator of the Odeon empire, acquired the Glasgow Paramount. In the 1960s the auditorium famously presented the Beatles and the Rolling Stones to Glasgow audiences. In 1969 the auditorium was subdivided into three smaller cinemas and this conversion unfortunately obliterated the original Art Deco interior that included the tea-room above the entrance, the lavish foyers, lounges and the auditorium. However, the original plans survive together with a complete inventory and description of the fixture and fittings from 1941. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
1934
Architects
Frank Verity and Samuel Beverley

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
High
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
5/10/2007, 23/11/2010, 6/3/2013, 13/12/2013
Development History
May 2007: BBC News website reports on a planning application being submitted to Glasgow City Council, by Duddingston House Properties, for an office and leisure complex which would retain and develop the Renfield Street corner of the cinema. October 2007: External inspection reveals that, other than the three shops on the ground floor of the Renfield Street elevation, the building has been vacant since the closure of the cinema in January 2006. The external paint work requires attention, otherwise the exterior is in fair condition. November 2007: The Herald reports approval has been given to an £80million redevelopment of the site. The articles goes on to detail the plans, by architects Gordon Murray and Alan Dunlop, with retain the facade on the Renfield Street and West Regent Street corner, with demolition of the brick rear building.
January 2009: The Glasgow Evening Times reports that the redevelopment plans for the cinema are on hold. The developer, Duddingston House Properties, is reported to cite the downturn in the economic climate for the delay.
July 2010: The former cinema is placed, in part, on the market for let through agents CB Richard Ellis (Scotland) & GVA Grimley. The space will be available in the Autumn, following strip out works.
November 2010: External inspection finds the building appears largely unchanged since our previous visit. A banner announces a forthcoming office development.
August 2011: Full planning permission and listed building consent is being sought for partial demolition of vacant cinema (brick auditorium only) and erection of mixed
office/commercial development, with temporary use of the cleared site as public
realm/events space ref: 11/01543/DC & 11/01544/DC. Accompanying applications are being sought for the re-use and refurbishment of the main Art Deco frontage of the former cinema as a hotel.
10 May 2012: Applications 11/01543/DC & 11/01544/DC were conditionally granted, subject to Section 75 agreements, Nov & Dec 2011.
5 December 2012: A member of the public draws attention to an article in the Glasgow Evening Times (27.11.12) reporting the scheme for facade retention of the former cinema, with new build tower to rear, is to commence as a joint project between Duddingston House Properties, Mountgrange and PRUPIM. The article notes demolition of the former auditorium is planned for completion by the end of the year with the full redevelopment of the site aimed to complete by December 2014.
6 March 2013: External inspection finds demolition of the auditorim is now underway. The frontage of the former cinema is to be retained but is now intended to function as a stand alone building rather than integrated into the new build element of the site of the auditorium. The use of this stand alone building has yet to be detailed.
13 December 2013: External inspection finds the auditorium has no been demolished and construction on the site has commenced. The Art Deco frontage is now sitting apart, disused.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Glasgow Central
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
0141 287 5492

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Company

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Cinemas
Original Entry Date
18/10/2007
Date of Last Edit
20/12/2013