Salon Cinema (Former), 4-5, Baxter's Place, Edinburgh

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Salon Cinema (Former)
Other Name(s)
Address
4-5, Baxter's Place, Edinburgh
Locality
Postcode (click to find nearby buildings)
Planning Authority (click to search)
Divisional Area (click to search)
Reference No
3865
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NT 26143 74460
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
28279

Description

Shop unit converted to cinema, opened 1913 with Persian theme. Closed 1974 and used as a public house (Scottish Cinemas)

Baxter's Place is linked to the north by a quadrant colonnade to Blenheim Place, one of the most important elements in Playfair's Eastern New Town scheme; continuity of building line and quality classical architecture are valuable streetscape elements which 1-8 Baxter's Place contributes to this important corner location. It is a good example of early high quality tenement building in this area of the city. No 1 Baxter's Place was the home of Robert Stevenson, the renowned engineer (also the grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson). He died there in 1850. The shops built out at ground floor were an early addition; in 1830 plans were drawn up to construct shops in front of No 3, but it appears that these particular plans were not carried out. The O.S map of 1852 shows shops in front of Nos 8-4, and by 1877 shops had also been built out in front of Nos 1-2. There was also alteration to the rear, with most of the N end of the block having been extended considerably by 1896. In the 20th century the ground floor of Nos 4-5 was further extended at the rear to house the Salon Cinema. Most of these extensions to the rear have now been fully or partly demolished. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
tenement circa 1800 with later additions to form cinema.
Architects
John Baxter

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
High
Exemptions to State of Risk
The risk record applies soley to the former cinema.
Field Visits
19/10/2011, 03/12/2008
Development History
December 2008: External inspection finds the former cinema (inserted into 4-5 Baxter‘s Place) closed and boarded up, and is understoofd to have been so for a considerable time. A number of planning application have been submitted for 1-5 Baxter's Place. A current application has been lodged for change of use to a licensed hotel. The application also seeks a change of use for the former cinema into a retail unit.
March 2009: Full planning permission for change of use to licensed hotel (1-5 Baxter‘s Place) with conversion of former cinema to retail, granted. (08/03635/FUL)
July 2010: A member of the public contacts SCT with some historical background to the property. The auditorium was demolished in 1980, leaving just the stairs down from the street (housed in the front extension) which reached a landing leading to the projection room and a small open flat floored gallery. Some light fittings were rescued and are now on display at the New Palace Theatre Organ Heritage Centre, Greenlaw.
The projection equipment was removed in 1980 and partially re-used at the Playhouse, Edinburgh to supplement the Westar projectors (rescued from the George, Portobelllo also in 1980).
October 2011: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit, although trees and other vegetation appear to have been removed from the rear of the site.
January 2012: Edinburgh Evening News reports on the planned hotel development at Baxter‘s Place. Agent Jones Lang Lasalle is seeking, on behalf of current owners, a forward commitment to buy the hotel on completion, asking operators to team up with their preferred investment partners and submit a joint proposal.
18 February 2013: Urban Realm reports a revised application for conversion of the terrace, with replacement of the modern extension to the rear, into a 239 bed hotel, is due to be considered by Edinburgh City Council. Subject to gaining consents, the article reports on the intention to commence the development in 2013.
19 August 2013: Listed Building Consent for demolition of modern extensions to front and rear, alterations to building and formation of pedestrian link has been lodged with Edinburgh City Council ref: 13/03075/LBC.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
New Town
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
0131 529 6235

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Shop to Cinema
Name of Owners
Unverified. See FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Cinemas
Original Entry Date
31/03/2009
Date of Last Edit
19/08/2013