Botanic Gardens Garage, 24, Vinicombe Street, West End

General Details and Location

Category
RESTORATION IN PROGRESS
Name of Building
Botanic Gardens Garage
Other Name(s)
Address
24, Vinicombe Street, West End
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
3076
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NS 56838 67267
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
32935

Description

Distinctive 2-storey, 5-bay, white and green faience street elevation in Italian Romanesque style.

An exceptionally early and rare surviving example of a public motor garage, the former Botanic Gardens Garage is likely to be the earliest surviving example in Scotland. Public garages of this era which comprise more than one storey are also very rare and this may be the only one of its type in Scotland. By the early 1900s the site was owned by a Mrs Kennedy and she employed the Glasgow architect D V Wyllie to work on a number of projects in the area, including the construction of the tenement adjacent to the garage from where access to the first floor of the garage was gained. Plans dated 1906 which affected the area behind this neighbouring tenement are titled, 'Extension to Motor Garage'. Earlier plans dated 1905 describe a workshop on the site.

While the different phases of development are not yet fully understood it is clear that a motor garage was on the site from at least 1906. The faience street elevation appears (with an additional top storey which was not constructed) on plans by Wyllie dated May 1911 and described as 'proposed additions to garage buildings'. While the earliest parts of the building may have been adapted from existing structures, the green and white faience street elevation phase was certainly purpose-built and deliberately eye-catching. As one of the first of its type this building was innovative and the use of the distinctive decorative faience is of particular special interest. The street elevation remains largely unaltered. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
1912
Architects
David Valentine Wyllie

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
Low
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
2/11/2007, 25/11/2010, 25/3/2014
Development History
11 July 2007: Glasgow Evening Times reports that owner Sir Arnold Clark plans to demolish building. 7 August 2007: Glasgow Evening Times reports that campaigners have stepped up their fight to stop the demolition of the garage amid new claims that it could be unique as Britain's earliest listed multi-storey car park. October 2007: Bearsden and Milngavie Extra reports on the withdrawl of the demolition application lodged by Arnold Clark. The article go on to report on the liklihood of a new development application being drawn-up and that the Save Botanics Gardens Garage group are hoping to work with Historic Scotland to increase the listing to A category. November 2007: External inspection reveals the building's exterior to remain in fair condition. The building is well secured. The large, open interior spaces suggest it would capable of adoption to alternative uses. It is also significant for it's setting of "The Salon", the B Listed former Hillhead Picture House, opposite. January 2008: The Times reports on the upgrading of the Garage from B to A Listing. Historic Scotland is quoted that " It is an incredibly rare survival and may well be one of the earliest one of its type remaining in Scotland".
June 2008: The Herald, Evening Times and the Glaswegian report that revised proposals for the garage have been drawn up. These have conflicting reports of the nature of the proposals and a full application for planning permission is yet to be formally lodged.
October 2008: Glasgow Evening Times report the new application has been submitted comprising; a four storey complex including mews flat, office space, leisure facilities and retail space. Campaign group Save the Botanic Gardens Garage are reported to be seeking every avenue to object to the proposal which would require partial demolition of the A list former garage. Arnold Clark are quoted as having taking guidance from Historic Scotland, Glasgow City Council and the views of local residents.
August 2009: The Herald and the BBC report on new proposals which have been published for the redevelopment of the garage. The number of flats has been reduced to 20 and there are plans to retain and restore the front section of the garage.
February 2010: The Herald reports plans for the re-development of the Garage, which includes the demolition of the building, with the exception of the facade and an area to the rear, have been approved by Glasgow City Council‘s planning committee. Given the building‘s A-list status, the plan will now be submitted to Historic Scotland.
November 2010: External inspection finds the building remains disused. There are plants growing in the gutters. Some wall tiles are smashed. The timber window frames in the lane elevation are deteriorating. On May 26, Historic Scotland informed Glasgow City Council that Scottish Ministers had taken the decision to call the case in for determination by them.
January 2011: Scottish Ministers refuse listed building consent for the partial demolition and internal/ external alteration to Botanic Gardens Garage.
6 August 2013: Urban Realm reports on a revised application for the former garage. The new application is reported to retain parking in basement area but with a change of use to a retail unit on the ground floor and the first floor into a gym.
28 August 2013: Permission for change of use to shop, gym, community office space and associated external alterations is currently being sought ref: 13/01608/DC.
25 October 2013: Local planners advise the revised development plan for the former garage remains undecided at this time.
25 March 2014: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously. Some vegetation growth is evident and a broken window has been boarded over. The building appears to be being monitoring and maintained.
3 July 2014: Local planners advise 13/01609/DC (LBC) and 13/01608/DC (PP) Granted 25.03.2014.
21 December 2016: Local planners advise initial ground works are underway at the site in preparation for redevelopment of the property (15/02812/DC and 15/02813/DC) for conversion to restaurant, leisure and community use.
26 October 2017: Local planners report the conversion of the property is now underway. Moved to Restoration in Progress.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Glasgow West
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
0141 287 5492

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Garage
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: N/A
Name of Owners
Arnold Clark
Type of Ownership
Company

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
http://www.botanicgardensgarage.org/
Bibliography
Glasgow Post Office Directory (1908-09) p1333; Ordnance Survey Map (1908-11); Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Plans: 17/635; 1/9732; 2/1526; 1911/273. Williamson et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Glasgow (1990) p353. G R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road (2001) p105.
Classification
Storage Buildings
Original Entry Date
11-JUL-07
Date of Last Edit
23/07/2018