Western Cemetery Mortuary Chapel, Forfar Road, Arbroath

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Western Cemetery Mortuary Chapel
Other Name(s)
Fraser Mortuary Chapel
Address
Forfar Road, Arbroath
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
3452
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NO 62480 41770
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
21252

Description

Red sandstone barional style mortuary chapel with elaborate carvings.

In 1873 the architect's wife, Elizabeth Allan-Fraser, died, an event which was the catalyst for the building of the Fraser family Mortuary Chapel in Arbroath Cemetery from 1875 onwards. (Dictionary of Scottish Architects).

The building was later gifted to the people of Arbroath as a non-denominational chapel, with maintenance of the structure being the responsibility of the Patrick Allan-Fraser of Hospitalfield Trust.
Building Dates
1875
Architects
Patrick Allan-Fraser

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Fair
Category of Risk
Low
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
06/06/2008, 23/10/2012, 8/6/2016
Development History
June 2008: The Arbroath Herald reports that Angus Council are holding talks with the Hospitalfield House Trust to ensure the future of the Chapel. The article goes on to report that the structure in owned by the council but is not part of the Common Good Fund and that repair and maintenance is the responsibility of the Trust as a condition laid upon it when it was gifted to the people of Arbroath in 1886.
August 2008: The Chapel will be participating in Doors Open Day 2008 on 7 September, see Doors Open Day website for further information.
April 2009: Local planners report RIAS conservation acredited architects are working on the conservation plan and survey.
23 October 2012: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit. Rainwater goods are in need of maintenance.
8 June 2016: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously. Some elements of the elaborate carvings have been subject to erosion and one parapet is braced. Some sections of the ornate boundary railings are missing. The surrounding cemetery is well managed.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
03452 777 778

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Angus Council/ Hospitalfield Trust
Type of Ownership
Local Authority

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Dictionary of Scottish Architects http://www.codexgeo.co.uk/dsa/index.php
Classification
Churches and Chapels
Original Entry Date
10-JUN-08
Date of Last Edit
30/06/2016