Chapel Works: East Warehouse, Paton's Lane, Montrose

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2023.

General Details and Location

Name of Building
Chapel Works: East Warehouse
Other Name(s)
George Morton‘s Bottling Plant; Morton‘s Bond; Montrose Whisky Bond; Chapel Bond; Thomson Bros and Co.; Bow Butts Bonding Co.
Paton's Lane, Montrose
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
Listing Category
OS Grid Ref
NO 72045 57707
Location Type
HS Reference No


2-storey, 7-bay symmetrical warehouse with quoined angles, cornice and parapet to W elevation. Alternate bays recessed with blocked segmental arched doorways and blocked single-light windows over. Advanced bays have raised parapets, outer bays blind, inner bays blocked doors and blind windows over. 1-bay sides similarly treated. Rear, with segmental-arched doors, extended 1860-78: single-storey, rubble-built sides, brick rear. Piended slate roof with dividing walls. 2 small segmental-arched dormers.

Warehouse used to store raw flax for the Chapel Works, founded in 1795 as a linen and rope works. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)
Building Dates
Circa 1846-56

Category of Risk and Development History

Category of Risk
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
April 1993, July 1999, 31/07/2008, 30/06/2009, 23/10/2012, 7/6/2016
Development History
December 1998: December 1998: The works cease production and close. 1989: An application is lodged for the demolition of the entire complex save for the offices fronting Eastern Road, and the residential development of the cleared site. SCT objects, instead advancing the retention and conversion of the existing buildings, and in particular the retention of the Marine Avenue façade. 21 August 1990: The Aberdeen Press and Journal reports that Councillors have asked for full details of the site‘s future use before ruling on the demolition application. 2 January 1991: The Dundee Evening Times reports that extensive additional areas of the site have now been category A-listed, a move opposed by local Councillors. 8 January 1991: The Aberdeen Press and Journal reports that local Councillors have voted to invite the resubmission of the demolition application, with the Eastern Road elevation retained. 10 January 1991: The Montrose Review repeats the story. 3 February 1991: The Aberdeen Press and Journal reports that local Councillors have voted to accept demolition of all but the Eastern Road elevation. 4 April 1991: The Montrose Review repeats the story. May 1991: Press reports note that the works have been hit by fire. Meanwhile, the decision to permit demolition is referred to the Secretary of State, who refuses to grant permission. The decision is challenged at appeal. July 1993: The appeal is dismissed. SCT understands that the Scottish Historic Buildings Trust, Angus District Council, and Historic Scotland are now working on a planning brief and are due to meet with the owners soon. The general concensus is that commercial or light industrial uses may provide the best option, although SCT understands that a housing association may be interested in the site. 13 January 1994: The Montrose Review reports that the works have been hit by a second fire. The eastern part of the complex is now owned by the Tayside Health Board who are proposing to build the new Montrose Community Hospital on the site. The remainder is in the ownership of Chivas Bros., part of Seagrams. February 1994: SCT understands that several expressions of interest in the site have been recently received. January 1995: Discussions of the construction of the new hospital also continue. The rest of the site enters new ownership, and quantity surveyors begin to investigate potential new uses. The resulting planning application proposes an 80-90% demolition, strongly opposed by SCT. The Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland is similarly opposed. April 1996: SCT understands that the presence of a fertilizer plant nearby (subject to strict EC rules governing its proximity to inhabited structures) is militating against the development of the works. Although a proposal for a mixed residential development has been formulated with Angus Council, the Health and Safety Executive continues to operate a strict embargo on major developments in the area. The scheme would see about half of the existing buildings retained. November 1998: Local planners report that Health and Safety issues have still not been resolved. Angus Council is in informal discussions with Historic Scotland. March 1999: The Angus Local Plan notes that Angus NHS Trust is currently investigating the larger site at Lochside Distillery, in preference to building a new hospital on the site. June 1999: An application is submitted by Forfar-based Bonnyman Developments for the redevelopment of the site into 93 houses and flats, including widespread demolition. SCT strongly objects. 2 December 1999: The Montrose Review reports that planning chiefs are recommending approval. January 2000: The application is approved, and accepted by Historic Scotland. 2001: The Servite and Hillcrest Housing Associations purchase the site and embark upon its phased redevelopment. November 2002: Hillcrest Housing Association completes 50 units. The second phase of redevelopment will include the demolition of the existing structures, with the retention of 3 facades. June 2003: Hillcrest Housing Association reports that the construction of 8 town houses will commence later in the year. September 2003: Local planners report that an application by the Servite Housing Association for 10 houses has been approved. March 2004: Historic Scotland reports that the majority of the site has now been comprehensively redeveloped, though the east warehouse remains undeveloped. May 2005: Local planners report that the owners, Hillcrest Housing Association, are keen to see the main property redeveloped, possibly as part of a façade retention scheme.
June 2008: External inspection finds the warehouse to be vacant and boarded-up. The structure is very badly eroded on the west elevation. The condition of rainwater goods is of particular concern and potentially accelerating the rate of deterioration. The roof is in good condition generally but some slates are being lost.
June 2009: External inspection finds this substantial building‘s condition deteriorating with vegetation growth and blocked downpipes.
23 October 2012: External inspection finds no significant change from the previous site visit.
7 June 2016: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
03452 777 778


Current Availability
Appointed Agents
Occupancy Type
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Hillcrest Housing Association
Type of Ownership
Housing Association

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Hume (1976-1977), vol. II, p141; Warden (1864).
Online Resources
Textile Industries
Original Entry Date
Date of Last Edit