Benvie Mill (Former), Benvie

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Benvie Mill (Former)
Other Name(s)
Address
Benvie
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
3770
Listing Category
A
OS Grid Ref
NO 32809 31493
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
10864

Description

2-storey and basement, rectangular-plan grain mill. rubble masonry, droved and margined dressings, piended slate roof. West elevation features; segmental-arched cart entrance to centre right, window to right, low entrance to wheel chamber to left, 2 windows above to ground floor, door to far left, window to outer left, low stone steps advanced at left angle; 4 small boarded windows to 1st floor; remains of cowl at roof ridge over kiln to right. INTERIOR: mill; wheel and all machinery intact.

Neither mill nor house is shown on the 1810 map; both appear on the first Ordnance Survey map. The date 1865 inscribed on the basement door lintel to the east gable of the house probably refers to the addition of the 1st floor. Benvie Mill forms a B group with the Road Bridge over Fowlis Burn near Benvie Mill, Benvie Church Ruin and Churchyard, and Benvie Farmhouse. The mill is A listed for the survival of its machinery. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)
Building Dates
Earlier 19th century
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Fair
Category of Risk
Moderate
Exemptions to State of Risk
The adjoining house to south-east is not at risk and therefore excluded from this record.
Field Visits
26/01/2009, 16/02/2010, 27/5/2016
Development History
January 2009: External inspection suggests that the mill is disused. The exterior of the building appears to be in reasonable condition. However, the glass is missing from a window on the upper floor of the west elevation.
February 2010: External inspection finds the mill appears largely unchanged from the previous visit, remaining in fair condition. Ground floor windows are boarded up while first floor windows are open to the elements.
27 November 2012: Local planners advise the owner aims to convert the former mill to residential use.
18 June 2014: Listed Building Consent to repair the building and convert to residential use with retention of existing mill machinery is currently being sought ref: 14/00359/LBC.
27 May 2015: Limited external inspection possible. Overall the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously. Rainwater goods are beginning to leak and stain walls and a dip is developing on the western roof pitch. Consents for repairs and conversion to residential use (previously noted) were conditionally approved July 2014.
7 December 2016: Listed Building Consent for external repairs/ alterations is being sought ref: 16/00914/LBC.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
01382 433105

Availability

Current Availability
Not Available
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
N McLean, surveyor, Plan of Barony of Gray and Benvie, 1810, RHP 32999/6-7; OS map, 1859. McKean & Walker (1984), p.171.
Online Resources
Classification
Food and Drink Processing
Original Entry Date
27-JAN-09
Date of Last Edit
30/05/2016