Senior Primary School (Former), Roods Road, Inverkeithing

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2019.

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Senior Primary School (Former)
Other Name(s)
Address
Roods Road, Inverkeithing
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
4887
Listing Category
C
OS Grid Ref
NT 12951 83011
Location Type
Urban
HS Reference No
49955

Description

2-storey, 22-bay, roughly rectangular-plan school with plain classical detailing. Squared and coursed rubble-faced stone; smooth ashlar dressings and quoins. Raised base course; cill courses; band courses; moulded and dentilled eaves course; pavilion ends with shallow raised pilaster details; full-height segmental pedimented bay; central flèche. Predominantly 6-pane sash and case windows; Piended and pavilion roofs; green slates.

The Inverkeithing schools are a landmark set on a prominent site high above the burgh´s main street. A grammar school was established in Church Street, Inverkeithing in 1819 (demolished, now the site of war memorial). However, shortly after the 1872 Education Scotland Act, a new primary school was erected in Roods Road in 1874, after which time the grammar school was used for infant classes. The architect, Andrew Scobie was a relatively well-known architect to the Dunfermline area and had already completed a number of important commissions, including Bruce Street Hall (1866). Scobie was simultaneously awarded two school commissions in 1874 and as well as designing the modest school at Inverkeithing, he also produced a more overtly Gothic design for Milesmark Primary School, Rumblingwell, Dunfermline. Scobie specialised in public commissions and when his son joined him after the turn of the 20th century, their practice would continue to undertake more school commissions, including that at Brock Street, North Queensferry. However the commission to design the second school on the Roods Road site was granted to Glasgow architects, Brydon & Robertson who were specialists in providing large, functional commercial buildings including industrial works, schools and hospitals, including the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital in Rottenrow (1903). Inverkeithing was a thriving burgh in the early part of the 20th century due to the development of Rosyth Dockyards, Caldwell's Papermill and the advent of the Forth Bridge. Therefore in 1911, a new primary school was necessary to provide for the rapidly increasing population. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
Dated 1913
Architects
Brydon & Robertson

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Poor
Category of Risk
Critical
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
21/07/2010, 27/5/2014, 08/08/2018
Development History
July 2010: External inspection finds an imposing building in a generally fair state but with localised areas of severe damage. The building appears to have been subjects to vandalism attacks. The school is disused.
October 2010: Listed building consent and full planning permission have been lodged for alterations to former school building to create residential accommodation with associated car parking and external works (42 residential units and 56 car park spaces)ref: 10/03809/LBC & 10/03625/FULL
31 May 2013: A member of the public notes Dunfermline Press has reported that a legal agreement, a condition of permitted development to convert the site to flats, has been signed between Fife Council and developers Andrail Limited.
27 May 2014: External inspection finds the buildings remain in much the same condition as seen previously.
7 August 2018: Listed building consent for demolition of former school buildings is being sought June 2017, ref: 17/01429/LBC, as well as full planning permission for the erection of 28 affordable dwellinghouses with associated infrastructure and demolition of existing buildings ref: 17/01391/FULL.
8 August 2018: External inspection finds the condition of the property has deteriorated with roof in poor condition. There are slipped slates and missing flashings. There is one visible broken boarded window at ground floor level. The metal fencing blocking entrance through the arched gateway to the South West is unsecured. The grounds are overgrown and showing signs of lack of maintenance. Condition moved to Poor and Risk moved to Critical.
12 August 2018: The Courier website reported a fire in one of the former school buildings, 12/08/2018.
20 November 2018: The BBC website reports a major fire at the school that has destroyed much of the fabric of the building (20/11/2018).

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number
03451 555 555 ext 476998

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Online Resources
Classification
Schools
Original Entry Date
10-MAR-11
Date of Last Edit
13/08/2018