Blaich Church of Scotland (Former), Blaich

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Blaich Church of Scotland (Former)
Other Name(s)
Blaich Mission Church (Former)
Address
Blaich
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
1558
Listing Category
C
OS Grid Ref
NN 05258 77089
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
1692

Description

Single storey, 3-bay north facing cottage converted as church. Harled rubble with boulder footings. Centre pointed-headed door with flanking pointed headed windows, all probably altered to present form when building became a church. 3 symmetrical windows in rear elevation, the outer windows slapped for church. 4-pane glazing; end stacks; slate roof.
Interior: simple interior, two thirds as church and small room in eastern portion of building.

Single storey, 3-bay north facing cottage converted as church. Harled rubble with boulder footings. Centre pointed-headed door with flanking pointed headed windows, all probably altered to present form when building became a church. 3 symmetrical windows in rear elevation, the outer windows slapped for church. 4-pane glazing; end stacks; slate roof.
Interior: simple interior, two thirds as church and small room in eastern portion of building. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)
Building Dates
1817
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Ruinous
Category of Risk
High
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
October 1996, 29/5/2013, 21/2/2018
Development History
October 1996: SCT understands that the church is in joint use by the Church of Scotland and the Free Church. Inspection reveals it to be in poor condition and to be deteriorating. Slates are beginning to come loose and some floors are rotten. January 1998: The local councillor asks whether a Repairs Notice can be served. January 2000: Local planners report that the roof continues to deteriorate with several missing or dislodged slates. March 2001: The Church of Scotland confirms that the church is no longer in use. May 2003: The church is marketed for sale. Missives are subsequently concluded for the sale of the building, but are dependent on the purchaser also being able to acquire an area of ground and access to services from a neighbouring property. February 2005: The Church of Scotland reports that these negotiations have broken down and the sale has fallen through. Sale to another party is currently being negotiated.
April 2008: Local planners report that they have met with the new owner to discuss proposals for the restoration and conversion into a house. The proposals include the salvaging of the slate and seal wallheads and inner surface of outer walls. The building is also currently home to an owl. Recent images of the property are also forwarded.
May 2010: Local planners report that a scheme has been approved for conversion to residential, but is yet to be implemented.
29 May 2013: External inspection finds the building is de-roofed and is now a shell. Wallheads have been temporarily protected and there are some signs of excavation nearby. Full Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent for conversion of the building to a one-bedroom property, incl retrospective removal of the roof were granted Feb 2010 ref: 09/00370/FULLO & 09/00371/LBCLO.
21 February 2018: External inspection finds the building remains in much the same condition as seen previously. No re-instatement works have taken place. Risk moved from moderate to high.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Church/Convent/Monastery
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: N/A
Name of Owners
Unverified see FAQ on ascertaining ownership
Type of Ownership
Private

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Classification
Churches and Chapels
Original Entry Date
10-OCT-96
Date of Last Edit
12/03/2018