Mackintosh Burial Vault, Petty

+ -
Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved. © Copyright and database right 2019.

General Details and Location

Category
AT RISK
Name of Building
Mackintosh Burial Vault
Other Name(s)
Address
Petty
Locality
Postcode
Planning Authority
Divisional Area
Reference No
2808
Listing Category
B
OS Grid Ref
NH 73871 49886
Location Type
Rural
HS Reference No
14931

Description

Small and low L-plan with narrow 3-bay front, comprising centre pointed-headed door with flanking similarly arched windows with simple Y-tracery. Mural monument in form of Venetian window with blind or defaced panels, moulded cornices to side lights, dated 1742 and initialled LM and AD. Moulded eaves cornice; piended slate roof. Pair cast-iron cats bearing banners standing on stone plinths flank entrance.

Church no longer in ecclesiastical use. Present building on site of 1769 church. Lachlan Mackintosh of Kinrara (Alvie Parish, Badenoch and Strathspey) left "500 marks money ... for building ane chapel of esslar (ashlar) work at easter gable of kirk of Petty to be ane burial place for Lairds of Mackintosh and their ladies ... to be erected within 18 months of decease" (also in 1686). Cat in crest of Mackintosh family and Clan Chattan. (Historic Scotland)
Building Dates
1686; 1742
Architects
Unknown

Category of Risk and Development History

Condition
Ruinous
Category of Risk
High
Exemptions to State of Risk
Field Visits
June 1990, October 1995, 16/11/2011, 26/6/2013
Development History
June 1990: External inspection reveals the vault to be boarded up, though it remains in fair condition. The Church of Scotland previously sought, but was refused, permission to demolish the adjoining  St Columba's Church in 1985. The burial vault is separately owned and was not included in the demolition application. October 1995: External inspection reveals no change. April 2003: Local planners report that the Clan Mackintosh is seeking to transfer the vault to Highland Council, who own and maintain the surrounding graveyard.
November 2011: External inspection finds the vault has deteriorated markedly. The roof is collapsing from the rear. A large patch of exposed sarking to the front has developed. The door is boarded up.
14 August 2012: A member of the public advises that the roof of the mausoleum has now collapsed. Condition moved to Ruinous.
25 April 2013: Highland Council has assumed responsibility for the vault and secured the building, following the collapse of the roof, to ensure the safety of the general public. The Council is exploring options for the repair of the building.
26 June 2013: External inspection confirms that the roof has collapsed. The building has been surrounded by Heras fencing.

Guides to Development

Conservation Area
Planning Authority Contact
PAC Telephone Number

Availability

Current Availability
Unknown
Appointed Agents
Price
Occupancy
Vacant
Occupancy Type
N/A
Present/Former Uses
Building Uses Information:
Present Use 1: N/A Former Use 1: Mausoleum
Present Use 2: N/A Former Use 2: N/A
Name of Owners
Type of Ownership
Unknown

Information Services

Additional Contacts/Information Source
Bibliography
Bain (1926), pp34-39; Gifford (1992), p214; Hay (1957), p259; Discovery and Excavation Scotland, (2) 2001, p60.
Online Resources
Classification
Mausolea
Original Entry Date
26-JUN-90
Date of Last Edit
29/04/2013